none
Project Server 2010: Cannot edit/delete User account RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have encountered a strange problem with one of my User accounts in the Pilot dev environment.  I had previously de-activated this User account. Now when I try to re-activate the User account, I am unable to save any changes to this User account and the error displayed while attempting to save is 'Unknown Error'.

I tried deleting this user account from 'Delete Enterprise Objects' but the User account cannot be deleted and the error messages indicate that this user is the assignment owner of some project tasks.

I have deleted all projects (along with related workspaces) where this user was assignment owner and also edited all resources who default assignment owner was this user. I tried once again to to delete this user but for some reason PWA still shows that this user is assignment owner of tasks from the deleted project. I still cannot save any changes to this user account.

What could have gone wrong here ? How do I delete this user account and re-create it ? Any tips on finding root cause of this problem will be very helpful.

Thanks

MathurP
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

I was finally able to resolve this issue. The User was owner of a project in the Archive database. Once I deleted this project from the Archive database, I was able to delete this user account and re-create it.

But I am still not sure why I was not able to edit and save changes to the user account. Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please check if the user is active in Active Directory of your organization. if user is not active in AD, You will not be able to activate user.

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Amit Khare

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hi Amit,

Yes, the user is active in the Active Directory. Any idea why I cannot delete this user account from Project Server ? If I am able to delete this user account then I can re-create the account. Not sure why it shows that this user has tasks assigned when I have already deleted all projects where this user was assignment owner of tasks. The following error messages are thrown when I try to delete this user from Delete Enterprise Objects in PWA

·  Demo User : The resource is owner of project '' and cannot be deleted.

·  Demo User : The resource is the assignment owner for Attempt 2 and cannot be deleted.

·  Demo User : The resource is the assignment owner for Attempt 3 and cannot be deleted.

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Hello Amit,

I have resolved this problem partially. I realized that this user was Status Manager for some tasks and I changed the Status Manager. So all the error messages related to User being assignment owner have now disappeared and now I am left with only one error message when I try to delete this user

·  Demo User : The resource is owner of project '' and cannot be deleted.

Are there any project/task/resource fields that I need to check to ensure that they do not refer to this User ?

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hi Amit,

I was finally able to resolve this issue. The User was owner of a project in the Archive database. Once I deleted this project from the Archive database, I was able to delete this user account and re-create it.

But I am still not sure why I was not able to edit and save changes to the user account. Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks

MathurP
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:03 AM