none
Project Server 2010 - A project blocks My tasks RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello!

    I am currently unable to open My Tasks page. Here's the short history. We're preparing a presentation with screenshots of various pages on PS2010, and for some reason, a colleague has decided to assign about 250 tasks - almost a whole project to a single resource. The resource is, of course, me. The moment she does that, My Tasks page stops responding, that is, it starts "O  Loading" and never finishes, printing out only "Unknown error has occurred". Everything else works fine, the mentioned project is editable in Project Center etc.

    Having encountered something similar earlier on a different software, I assumed that some kind of timeout is the cause, i.e. the sql server or the project server cannot process the data in a reasonable time. I checked CPU and memory usage on the PS, and it was mostly idle. Then I logged to the sql server, and it was stuck on 100%. For a moment, I thought that I had a solution ready, so I added two more virtual processors to the sql server (since everything is on HyperV). Well, it didn't work out. I googled for a maximum number of tasks PS2010 should be able to support, and I confirmed that 200 tasks represents no problem at all. So now, the sql server is not overloaded, the project server waits for data, and nothing happens.

    The error log reports Error ID 7747, and here's the info:

    SSP Name: Project Server Service Application
    PSError: NoError (0)
    Project Server has encountered an underlying SQL Server exception. Please refer to SQL Server documentation for more details.
    SQL Exception details:SqlException occurred in DAL:
    <Error><Class>0</Class><LineNumber>0</LineNumber><Number>10054</Number><Procedure></Procedure>
    <Message>
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)
    </Message>
    <CallStack>
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.WriteSni()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ExecuteFlush()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TdsExecuteRPC(_SqlRPC[] rpcArray, Int32 timeout, Boolean inSchema, SqlNotificationRequest notificationRequest, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean isCommandProc)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.DAL.SubDal.ExecuteStoredProcedureDataReader(String storedProcedureName, CommandBehavior commandBehavior, SqlParameter[] parameters)
    </CallStack>

     

    Any ideas how to solve this (without deleting the project, which, of course, works)?

    Friday, September 24, 2010 11:03 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Sounds like a timeout of some sort Raptus.  Can't you just get unassigned from the tasks in that plan and then re-publish?  as these were just for a demonstration I guess you can lose them.

    Best regards,

    Brian.


    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Raptus Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 10:57 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks, Brian. The mentioned project was for demonstration purposes, but a very similar one (in size and tasks) was to be derived from it for production purposes, so I wasn't really happy with recreating it every time it went wrong.

    However, the problem literally disappeared on its own. About 2hrs after I posted this (and I posted after two days of clicking and trying), I got My Tasks to open, and everything was ok. Can't say that I am not happy, but I sure wouldn't like that happening again :)


    Thanks again! :)

    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi, We are facing same issue, after 1.5 Hours its start working normal, May I know what is root cause and what is solution for above said problem.

    Regards

    Wahid

    Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:18 PM