none
Removing Windows 10 built in Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created and captured a Windows 10 Reference Build. During my build process I removed some of the Windows 10 built in Apps using a PS command. I made some changes to the profile. When I bring down the image I am seeing the profile changes are there but the built in Apps are back! I was unable to find a place in the unattended file to remove these apps. So does that mean I need to remove these apps each time I build new computer or do I need to do it a different way?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks

• Edited by Paul_R Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:23 AM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:23 AM

Answers

• There are "provisioned" apps in Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. These provisioned apps get installed automatically for each user when the log in. So removing them from the currently logged-on user before capturing an image doesn't really do much good, as you've noticed - they'll install for the next user anyway.

To get rid of them, you need to remove the provisioned apps (machine level).  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2013/10/21/removing-windows-8-1-built-in-applications.aspx for an example script to do this (needs tweaked for the different app list in Windows 10).

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Senior Product Marketing Manager, Windows Deployment
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by SanjoySaha Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul_R Wednesday, September 2, 2015 11:57 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:26 AM

All replies

• There are "provisioned" apps in Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. These provisioned apps get installed automatically for each user when the log in. So removing them from the currently logged-on user before capturing an image doesn't really do much good, as you've noticed - they'll install for the next user anyway.

To get rid of them, you need to remove the provisioned apps (machine level).  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2013/10/21/removing-windows-8-1-built-in-applications.aspx for an example script to do this (needs tweaked for the different app list in Windows 10).

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Senior Product Marketing Manager, Windows Deployment
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by SanjoySaha Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul_R Wednesday, September 2, 2015 11:57 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:26 AM
  • Thank you very much I will give it a try and get to you.
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:01 PM
    • It looks like it did remove the Apps but when clicking on the Windows button and go to All Apps I am seeing what looks like broken links. For example I see Maps square but no icon(see pic below).
    • I am going to try to re-capture this to see if this goes away.
    • I am running the modified PS in the Task Sequence like this:%SCRIPTROOT%\RemoveWindows10Apps.ps1.
    • Do I need to restart the the computer after I remove the Apps?
    • Do I need to run a script to remove the uninstalled Apps pictured below?
    • Once I get this sorted out will this Apps be removed for All users since I did it at the machine level?

Thank you for your time.

Copy of the modified PS

<#     
        ************************************************************************************************************ 
        Purpose:    Remove built in apps specified in list 
        Pre-Reqs:    Windows 10
        ************************************************************************************************************ 
        #http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2013/10/21/removing-windows-8-1-built-in-applications.aspx
    #>

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
    # Main Routine 
    #---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Get log path. Will log to Task Sequence log folder if the script is running in a Task Sequence 
    # Otherwise log to \windows\temp

try

{

$tsenv = New-Object -COMObject Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment

$logPath = $tsenv.Value("LogPath")

}

catch

{

Write-Host "This script is not running in a task sequence"

$logPath = $env:windir + "\temp"

}

$logFile = "$logPath\$($myInvocation.MyCommand).log"

# Start logging

Start-Transcript $logFile

Write-Host "Logging to $logFile"

# List of Applications that will be removed

$AppsList = "Microsoft.3DBuilder","Microsoft.BingNews","Microsoft.BingSports","Microsoft.BingWeather,",`
    "Microsoft.Getstarted","Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub","Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection",`
    "Microsoft.People","Microsoft.SkypeApp","Microsoft.WindowsAlarms","microsoft.windowscommunicationsapp",`
    "Microsoft.WindowsMaps","Microsoft.WindowsPhone","Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder","Microsoft.XboxApp",`
    "Microsoft.ZuneMusic","Microsoft.ZuneVideo","Microsoft.BingFinance","Microsoft.Office.OneNote"
    ForEach ($App in $AppsList)

{

$Packages = Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq $App}

if ($Packages -ne $null)

{

Write-Host "Removing Appx Package: $App"

foreach ($Package in $Packages)

{

Remove-AppxPackage -package $Package.PackageFullName

}

}

else

{

Write-Host "Unable to find package: $App"

}

$ProvisionedPackage = Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Where-Object {$_.displayName -eq $App}

if ($ProvisionedPackage -ne $null)

{

Write-Host "Removing Appx Provisioned Package: $App"

remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -packagename $ProvisionedPackage.PackageName

}

else

{

Write-Host "Unable to find provisioned package: $App"

}

}

# Stop logging

Stop-Transcript
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:30 AM
  • Did you ever resolve this issue?  I am experiencing the same behaviour in Windows 8.1, with partial shortcut icons being displayed under all apps, and some with the words install beside the shortcut.  For example, Sport icon is blank and has an Install text beside it.  I just want to remove the shortcuts altogether!

George

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Yes I was able to get it to Work in Windows 10. I ended up redoing the image as this was my base OS. Once I did that all was well.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:45 PM
  • I ran your modified PowerShell script from an MDT 2013 Update 1 task sequence and I still have the empty squares for the apps like you did in your previous post.

Since this is a fresh build from MDT, I'm not sure why this is happening. When you say you redid your image, what do you mean?

Jim

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Hello Jim

What I meant I rebuilt my base fresh from the Windows 10 iso. When I did that the boxes went away. I also updated to the new version of MDT 6.3.8298 from 6.3.8290. I hope that helps.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:38 PM
  • NorwoodOM, I'm also curious to hear how exactly did you get this working. I do not understand what you mean by "rebuilting the base fresh from the Windows 10 iso". I also updated to the newer version 6.3.8298 which did nothing to this problem.

I'm currently running my own version of a powershell script that does both Remove-AppxPackage & Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage to all the apps I don't want in my image. This leaves behind broken empty boxes to the Start menu both in All apps and the live tiles. The empty boxes can be seen during the deployment using a suspend step and also when I deploy the sysprepped & captured image and login with a domain account whose profile is created from the default profile in the image.

Here is what I find interesting: if I remove the run powershell step from my task sequence and run it manually from an elevated PowerShell during the suspend step, it works as expected! The apps get removed and no broken shortcuts / boxes are left behind.

Friday, October 16, 2015 11:28 AM
  • If you want to remove provisioned apps for all users, you need to do that when you are building your reference image. It's of course easiest and best to add that to your TS so you don't forget to remove the apps. Yes you may be left with some blank spaces in the Administrator account, but it really doesn't matter what the start menu looks like in the reference image. Why? Because you can create your own start menu layout and import it. When you deploy your image, your layout will be applied.

See the thread below for how to create and import a start menu layout:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0cbeba83-cfe3-451e-8232-fb009db089e5/windows-10-remove-apps-startmenu-taskband?forum=mdt

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 16, 2015 1:29 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Hi Dan_Vega,

I've read the thread you linked. The problem is that removing apps during MDT deploy & capture task sequence leaves behind not empty spaces but broken shortcuts that can't be removed. They are present even in the "All apps" part of the start menu. The broken shortcuts (boxes with title but no icon) are also visible in the final deployed image. Applying layout only helps with the live tile section but not under All apps.

Another problem related to this is that CopyProfile is somewhat broken in Windows 10 leaving references to Administrators account so I'm not sure if CopyProfile is supposed to fix those broken shortcuts to the default user profile in the image and hence for my end users.

• Edited by Henri W Monday, October 19, 2015 4:58 AM Typos
    Monday, October 19, 2015 4:51 AM
  • Copy profile should not be used, it's broken and that's listed as a known issue. You should not be seeing empty tiles from the apps you removed, that is probably related to you using copy profile. I stopped using copy profile with Windows 8.1 because it was breaking things. I don't even miss it anymore as I found other ways to apply the settings I wanted to.

For what it's worth I'm not getting any ghost tiles when deploying to end users.

Monday, October 19, 2015 1:15 PM
  • I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as Henri W just mentioned.

If I script the removal of applications (Remove-AppxPackage and Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage) and run this during an MDT Task Sequence, unremovable broken shortcuts remain. The applications are however, removed.

If the Task Sequence is paused and the script launched manually under the local Administrator, the Applications and shortcuts remove as expected.

This is being done during a reference image capture, copyprofile has nothing to do with it (that's applied during actual imaging, obviously symptoms above occur irrelevant of the setting, and obviously the shortcuts break as soon as the script runs).

Also as Henri W mentioned and Dan_Vega noted copyprofile is broken (this is completely unrelated to appx removal). I'm unsure how Microsoft are unable to replicate the issue (noted on the U1 re-release notes) as a fresh install of MDT, untouched W10 Ent x64 media and an untouched standard task sequence with vanilla settings exhibit this issue : When it's run, references to the Administrator account remain - After logging on with a new user, they're unable to access the Desktop via the explorer side-menu (it is linked to the Administrator's desktop).

I'm more concerned about the application removal. I'm running this code directly from an MDT TS using "Run PowerShell Script" and can't think that there's anything wrong with it (and as stated, it works fine if I load up a console and copy/paste) :

# List of Applications to Remove
    $AppPackages  = @()
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.3DBuilder'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingFinance'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingNews'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingSports'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Getstarted'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Office.OneNote'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.People'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.SkypeApp'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Windows.Photos'
    $AppPackages += 'microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsPhone'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxApp'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.ZuneMusic'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.ZuneVideo'

# List of Applications to Remove (Core Applications that may not be removable)
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsFeedback'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider'
    $AppPackages += 'Windows.ContactSupport'
    $AppPackages += 'Windows.PurchaseDialog'

# List of Applications to Consider Removing
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingWeather'
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsCamera'
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsMaps'
    #$AppPackages += 'WindowsAlarms'

foreach ($App In $AppPackages) {

$Package = Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq $App}
        If ($Package -ne $null) {
            Write-Host "Removing Package : $App"
            Remove-AppxPackage -Package $Package.PackageFullName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        }
        Else {
            Write-Host "Requested Package is not installed : $App"
        }

$ProvisionedPackage = Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq $App}
            If ($ProvisionedPackage -ne $null) {
            Write-Host "Removing Provisioned Package : $App"
            Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $ProvisionedPackage.PackageName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        }
        Else {
            Write-Host "Requested Provisioned Package is not installed : $App"
        }

}

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:14 PM
  • Powershell scripts need to be run from a local drive. Assuming the above is saved as a .ps1 file try this instead:

Add a new "application with source files" and call it something like Action - Remove Provisioned Apps

The source directory should only contain your powershell script.

The "install" command should be:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "Copy-Item '%DEPLOYROOT%\Applications\Action - Remove Provisioned Apps\RemoveApps.ps1' -destination C:\Windows\Temp; C:\Windows\Temp\RemoveApps.ps1; Remove-Item C:\Windows\temp\*.ps1 -Force"

I'm using this method and it works. I got this from Johan Arwidmark.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 23, 2015 1:55 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 1:54 PM
  • I appreciate the help but I'm confused. There's no problem in actually launching the script.

Just in case there is a quirk I don't understand - I added the above script as an application using the above command and I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms as I did previously.
    Friday, October 23, 2015 3:46 PM
  • The method and command I gave is what I'm using to automate removing provisioned apps. But my script is straightforward because I'm only removing two apps, I'm using "Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online -packagename NAME OF PACKAGE"

Have you looked at the logs after trying this method to see if there was an error or what it said? Also I haven't always success running a powershell script using the powershell task. Here's where I got the idea for a powershell wrapper - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/318/Using-PowerShell-scripts-with-MDT-2013

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 23, 2015 4:21 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 4:01 PM
  • Dan_Vega,

This explains why you are not seeing the empty boxes. Removing a provisioned package only removes the app from any future user account. Not from the current user (Administrator). And since you are not using the CopyProfile option when deploying, any new user logging in does not see the applications you removed nor any broken shortcuts. The administrator's account should still have the apps installed in the deployed image, though.

Maybe there should be a separate thread for this since this one is already marked as answered. My thinking is that the problem is caused by MDT way of running powershell scripts.

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:51 AM
  • Henri, I'm not the one having any problems, I can remove them and all I see are the empty boxes in the admin account when building a reference image. To be honest though, I don't care what the start menu looks like in the reference image because I'm applying the layout file and everything looks fine on deployment.

Monday, October 26, 2015 1:39 PM
  • I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as Henri W just mentioned.

If I script the removal of applications (Remove-AppxPackage and Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage) and run this during an MDT Task Sequence, unremovable broken shortcuts remain. The applications are however, removed.

If the Task Sequence is paused and the script launched manually under the local Administrator, the Applications and shortcuts remove as expected.

This is being done during a reference image capture, copyprofile has nothing to do with it (that's applied during actual imaging, obviously symptoms above occur irrelevant of the setting, and obviously the shortcuts break as soon as the script runs).

Also as Henri W mentioned and Dan_Vega noted copyprofile is broken (this is completely unrelated to appx removal). I'm unsure how Microsoft are unable to replicate the issue (noted on the U1 re-release notes) as a fresh install of MDT, untouched W10 Ent x64 media and an untouched standard task sequence with vanilla settings exhibit this issue : When it's run, references to the Administrator account remain - After logging on with a new user, they're unable to access the Desktop via the explorer side-menu (it is linked to the Administrator's desktop).

I'm more concerned about the application removal. I'm running this code directly from an MDT TS using "Run PowerShell Script" and can't think that there's anything wrong with it (and as stated, it works fine if I load up a console and copy/paste) :

# List of Applications to Remove
    $AppPackages  = @()
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.3DBuilder'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingFinance'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingNews'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingSports'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Getstarted'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Office.OneNote'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.People'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.SkypeApp'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Windows.Photos'
    $AppPackages += 'microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsPhone'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxApp'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.ZuneMusic'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.ZuneVideo'

# List of Applications to Remove (Core Applications that may not be removable)
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsFeedback'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI'
    $AppPackages += 'Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider'
    $AppPackages += 'Windows.ContactSupport'
    $AppPackages += 'Windows.PurchaseDialog'

# List of Applications to Consider Removing
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.BingWeather'
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsCamera'
    #$AppPackages += 'Microsoft.WindowsMaps'
    #$AppPackages += 'WindowsAlarms'

foreach ($App In $AppPackages) {

$Package = Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object {$_.Name -eq $App}
        If ($Package -ne $null) {
            Write-Host "Removing Package : $App"
            Remove-AppxPackage -Package $Package.PackageFullName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        }
        Else {
            Write-Host "Requested Package is not installed : $App"
        }

$ProvisionedPackage = Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq $App}
            If ($ProvisionedPackage -ne $null) {
            Write-Host "Removing Provisioned Package : $App"
            Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackageName $ProvisionedPackage.PackageName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
        }
        Else {
            Write-Host "Requested Provisioned Package is not installed : $App"
        }

}

Great script, I combined it with @Dan_Vega install command it and works well.  I would also add that for Windows 10 November update that it includes twitter and candy crush which is known to cause issues during capture so you can add

$AppPackages += '9E2F88E3.Twitter'
    $AppPackages += 'king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga'

to remove those two packages (It doesn't remove the ProvisionedPackage but it should stop the problem with them when trying to capture your image.
    Friday, November 27, 2015 2:21 AM
  • See http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off.aspx for an explanation of the extra apps.  The "blank" icons are a direct result of those.  (They are installed for the user, then captured as part of the start menu layout, even though they aren't later present.)

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Any idea on how to remove the "Skype Video" app that is present in the 1511 release?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:18 AM
  • Any idea on how to remove the "Skype Video" app that is present in the 1511 release?

qwedasdasd's script should do it with the
    'Microsoft.SkypeApp'
    part.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 11:47 AM
  • I'm already uninstalling that, it only removed the "Get Skype" app, not the new one called "Skype Video" that appeared in Windows 10 1511.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Open a powershell command prompt, type "Get-ProvisionedAppxPackage -online" to see the names of the provisioned apps. Then add the names of the apps you want to remove to the list in the script.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:56 PM
  • @ KristofferN

When I did my first 1511 build I saw candy crush get installed. The post above from Michael Niehaus helped me get past that. I added as registry entry in image build and have the TS reboot the computer to apply the settings.

You may want to take a look at another post Michael does on how to remove the built in apps here. I tried this and it work well for me. If you read down in the comment section you will see a post to an Alternative why of removing these apps from the install.wim this script is located here. This process works well too.

Hope this helps.

Paul

• Edited by Paul_R Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:44 PM update
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Can someone tell me where in the task sequence does this needs to be?
    Monday, December 14, 2015 3:51 PM
  • This is where I have it. So long as it's in the state restore section you should be good, but if you run it before suspending the task sequence you can verify that it worked.

Monday, December 14, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

I tried the above script through TS. When a New user Log in Showing as a AppID

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:11 AM
  • I get the same thing as Hari when I attempted to remove the apps. The shortcuts (although empty and non-functioning) appear to remain in the Start menu as if they are hard-coded in there. Is there any update on this? Is there any way to prevent these apps to appear in the Start menu?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:51 PM
  • If you're interested in removing all but the Store app, I suppose that the following lines should work:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Where-Object {$_.name -notlike "*store*"} | Remove-AppxPackage -ErrorAction Ignore | Out-Null

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Where-Object {$_.packagename -notlike "*store*"} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -ErrorAction Ignore | Out-Null

• Edited by DashKappei Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:29 PM
  • You can't remove the Windows Store app (and a few other system apps) because it's a system app.  You can only disable it via policy.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:21 PM
  • First of all, if you read this thread from the beginning, the problem now is not removing Apps but rather that removing them as a part of a MDT task sequence leaves empty and broken tiles to the start menu which are propagated to the default user profile you one deploys the image using CopyProfile.

I did some more testing and noticed that if you remove the apps in the task sequence right after the suspend step the actual removal is being done with administrators desktop visible and it works as expected! No broken shortcuts left behind. This is with a build 1511 image.

• Edited by Henri W Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:32 AM typos
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:31 AM
  • There are multiple questions in the thread, and that's not the one I was answering.  But to your comment, the difference is that if you allow the apps to install, the placeholder tiles are replaced with the real apps; removing those real apps (which are installed for the Administrator account) removes the placeholder tiles.

The issue is if you remove the provisioned apps before they install, either online or offline.  This leaves those placeholder tiles in place.  To deal with that, you need to import a new layout that doesn't include those placeholders (using the Import-StartLayout cmdlet).

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Michael, thanks for the reply! As I'm not a native English speaker my messages may seem a bit angry which is not my intention, sorry about that :)

Importing a layout does not import any shortcuts to the all apps section, right? Because removing apps in a MDT task sequence during the build before the suspend will also leave broken shortcuts under all apps. Removing the apps after the suspend step seems to fix this. Maybe this is more of a by-design kind of situation than a bug then.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:54 AM
  • My guess is that the suspend step gives the apps a chance to fully install, and for the shell to recognize that fact.  It's possible that without the suspend, or similar delays in the process (maybe even reboots could help), the shell doesn't realize that there are invalid items in the layout.

The "placeholder" icons are new with the 1511 release, related to the "consumer features" which will push down a selection of apps (e.g. Candy Crush, Twitter) to the signed-in user.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Use Appx and Provisioned command.

Uninstall in admin account ( which account you are creating first )

Once uninstall login with Administrator Account and Delete the old account and create a new account and check.

Regards, Hari Prasad.D

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:44 AM
  • I have this same exact issue.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:55 AM
  • I have this same exact issue.

There are several issues in this post. It's probably best you start a new thread. But just FYI this is all covered here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

and here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/23/seeing-extra-apps-turn-them-off/

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Michael, I started to 'clean up' fourteen of our stand-alone computers that now have been upgraded to Windows 10 Home.  I have three user accounts on each machine, similar to the 'computer labs' around the country where teachers and students interact.  So, my efforts for each machine are threefold because of the way these 'optional' apps are deployed.  As you're the Director of Product Marketing, I'll put it to you: the provisioning of many of these apps does not make sense in a teaching environment.  Candy Crush Saga, Groove Music, and all of the others are productivity killers.  The Microsoft Store app does more damage to our configurations, and has opened more security breaches than any other set of software we've had installed to date.  These machines aren't phones, tablets or devices that will run 'apps'.  They run programs that are installed and managed by our administration.  It's dangerous to 'permit' someone to go to the Microsoft Store and download something - even free apps, because it compromises the security of the computer.

The obvious question is 'what were you thinking', but the more sinister one is 'what effort do we need to exert to keep our environment the way we want it - and how often.  If each download of a 'new release' puts these apps back onto our fourteen machines, I will have to 'clean' them up again - and again - and again after each update from Microsoft.  That's unacceptable and very costly.  So - either come up with a way to encapsulate these apps so that they can be installed optionally, or a way to get them off the machine without going through the same process over and over again. And do it quickly.

Friday, July 1, 2016 10:02 PM
  • Michael, I started to 'clean up' fourteen of our stand-alone computers that now have been upgraded to Windows 10 Home. 

So no offense but you're using the wrong product. You're wanting to control aspects of the OS which can be done, but you're using Home (a consumer product) when you need to be using Pro or Enterprise which would allow you to more easily control (lock down) what you want to control. You can lock out the store using local or group policies.

There is also an edition of Windows called Windows 10 for Education which supports group policy management. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

Having the right tool for the job makes things easier. Using MDT along with some custom scripts you can easily build an image with store apps removed for all new users and you can set the local policy to turn off the Store. Then you can image out all your computers exactly the way you wanted them setup without having to reconfigure each one.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for responding. Dan.  I take no offense, but I'm not in a position to buy software.  I HAVE to stick to what Microsoft has provided for free under the upgrade offer.  Believe me, I heartily endorse using the right tool for the job (my hobby is making furniture).  However, I must work with what I can use in this environment.  If I read your response correctly, then I can use local or group policies on each machine.  And, would you mind defining 'MDT' for me, and explaining what it is and what it can do in this situation?

I appreciate your responses!

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:34 PM
  • You are in the MDT forums so I thought you were already familiar with the product. It's the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn475741.aspx It's a tool for IT Pros to build and deploy a standardized image of Windows.

The problem is you can't use local or group policies with the Home version of Windows. There are ways around that by editing the registry directly but it gets more complex and can render Windows unusable if you make the wrong changes.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:44 PM
  • I have found another way around this problem, which appears to be caused by using copy profile

While logged in as administrator (make sure any other user you have logged in as during your customization process is deleted or sysprep fails), delete the built-in apps you don't want with CCleaner, customize your start menu to your liking and perform any other customization you desire.

Extract a .wim using MDT LiteTouch.vbs

Configure the above PS script to delete the same apps you deleted with CCleaner and use in your SCCM or MDT TS - problem solved.

• Edited by John Caviani Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:37 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2016 6:03 PM
  • You could also use AppLocker to control the applications in any Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 environment.

Domain group policy is not possible in your environment so applocker would require a visit or script for each computer currently and for future deployments unless you're imaging.

But FYI: Windows 10 Pro does not have local group policy and so even trying to control some of the same items via domain group policy would require registry modification and is not possible in others.   You'd need Education or Enterprise to get it.  This is truly a frustrating and definitely under-reported (if pre-reported) feature withdrawal from Microsoft. 

Friday, September 16, 2016 5:56 PM
  • I tried this PS script and it works fine for the current user but when I logged on as another user the build-in apps were still there.  How can we use this script for all users.  Can you help?  

Thanks,

Robert

• Edited by RBalagot Friday, February 3, 2017 4:38 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hello Robert,

These link may help you

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

http://ccmexec.com/2015/08/removing-built-in-apps-from-windows-10-using-powershell/

The one I liked the most is this one. It has worked every time.

https://www.clientmgmt.de/it/windows-10-removing-built-in-apps-mit-powershell-wim/

Friday, February 3, 2017 4:56 PM
  • There are two things you need to be aware of.

• You need to remove the apps in the image you are building for deployment
    • This won't affect other existing profiles

Friday, February 3, 2017 5:24 PM
  • I'm using the removeapps.psi script to remove soem apps during a deployment ask sequence. It seems to remove them but when I login and scroll down to the bottom of the start menu there an "Other" section and all of the apps are there using there long unfriendly name like @{Microsoft.SkypeApp11.4.86.0... Clicking on them does nothing and right-click givems me pin to start, rate and review, and share. How do I get rid of these and why are they there if I removed them?
    Monday, February 6, 2017 1:36 PM
  • If you are using copy profile in your task sequence, you will get these ghost icons unless you effectively delete the apps twice.

If you want to use copy profile, do the following to get rid of them

While logged in as administrator (make sure any other user you have logged in as during your customization process is deleted or sysprep fails), delete the built-in apps you don't want with CCleaner, customize your start menu to your liking and perform any other customization you desire.

Extract a .wim using MDT LiteTouch.vbs

Configure the above PS script to delete the same apps you deleted with CCleaner and use in your SCCM or MDT TS - problem solved.

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:30 PM
  • It doesn't matter what the start menu looks like in the admin account in your reference image. You should be importing the start menu layout when you deploy your image. One advantage to doing that is that you can make updates to the layout without having to build a new image.

You can use powershell to export the layout you want

powershell Export-StartLayout -Path %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\LayoutModification.xml

During deployment copy that exported file to C:\users\default\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\

When new users login that layout will be applied to their profile

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:33 PM
  • It's really not the start menu that turns out to be the problem. The ghost icons appear in the programs list.

I believe it's the copy profile method that causes the problem. I have task sequences that do it both ways - with and without copy profile.

I use the procedure I outlined about to get rid of the ghost icons when I employ copy profile. Maybe there is a another way but I haven't stumbled upon it.

Without copy profile the problem doesn't exist.

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Just to clarify...

This is with copyprofile set to true in your unattend.xml, correct? (implemented during OS deployment in your task sequence)

Does it work for all new profiles? (new user logs in; the apps/shortcuts no longer appear in Start menu applications list)

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 2:34 AM
  • It's really not the start menu that turns out to be the problem. The ghost icons appear in the programs list.

I believe it's the copy profile method that causes the problem. I have task sequences that do it both ways - with and without copy profile.

I use the procedure I outlined about to get rid of the ghost icons when I employ copy profile. Maybe there is a another way but I haven't stumbled upon it.

Without copy profile the problem doesn't exist.

I don't use copyprofile. For an alternative to that, see my post here https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64930020-b531-45aa-9249-145e617b86bb/alternative-to-copy-profile?forum=mdt

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:37 PM
  • I am also having the issue with the broken shortcuts, but.... this only happens since Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) in Windows 10 (1607) this problem did not occur.

Using a custom start layout, which Dan_Vega is repeatedly suggesting, is more of a workaround than and actual solution. Primarily it did work fine in 1607 and in 1703 it does not, furthermore we don't want to work with a custom start layout.

Start menu after removing default apps in Windows 10 (1607)

Start menu after removing default apps in Windows 10 (1703):

So what changed between 1607 and 1703? What is the definite fix? I haven't been able to find one as of yet (and again, we do not want to use a custom start layout).

Friday, June 9, 2017 12:58 PM
  • did you resolve this ?  Im seeing the same thing after updating from 1511 to 1703 , removing apps during the process , it works fine for new profiles, existing profiles i see the junk in start like you. 
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:50 PM
  • Having the Same issue here. our process worked fine for 1511, and 1607, but as soon as 1703 happened we get the same thing you are.
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:57 PM