none
SMTP relay server, but with added management

Question

• Hi all,

I'm running some Exchange 2013 servers, and one thing that has always bothered me is the way internal applications are relaying. Right now, we maintain the scope on our Exchange 2013 server, and unfortunately the way that is done seems somewhat limited to me. I can only add IP addresses & that's it, I'd like to at least be able to add comments, maybe even expiry dates, see usage stats, etc.

Ideally, what I'd like to use is a separate SMTP gateway (windows based) that allows me to manage these IP addresses in more detail, as described above with management features such as commenting, expiry, monitoring, metrics etc.

For example: I'd like to see how often a certain device mails through the SMTP relay (and when it stops) using a nice graphical reporting overview, if it stops mailing; I'd like to drill down & check the notes to see what device is associated, possibly checking historical data.

I have checked the standard SMTP service that can be installed in Windows server, but that doesn't seem to cover the load. Also, separately installing an Exchange server specifically for this function would be overkill (also license wise) & still not cover my management requirements.

So far I haven't really found the product that would cover my requirement. Possibly I could come up with something myself using C# and/or PowerShell, but I'd prefer a solution that other may already have good experiences with. (also saving me a lot of time ;-)

Do you know of such a product? and If so, what are your experiences with it?

Any other suggestions are of course also welcome...

Regards, Paul www.servercare.nl

Monday, August 28, 2017 11:31 AM

All replies

• You can use windows SMTP server itself.It can handle the request as its just relying the messages.Not holding any messages.If you want you can load balance the same using NLB or HLB and multiply the servers.

Jayakumar K

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:27 PM
  • I know, but as I said:

[quote]

I have checked the standard SMTP service that can be installed in Windows server, but that doesn't seem to cover the load

[/quote]

The standard windows SMTP is rather limited & also doesn't allow me to add comments for example (AFAIK), which is the minimum requirement.

Thanks for the feedback though, but I think I need something more than the standard SMTP

Regards, Paul www.servercare.nl

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

From your description, it cannot be achieved via the standard windows SMTP, you can consider C# or powershell.

It's recommended to post to the Exchange development forum for further assistance:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/home?forum=exchangesvrdevelopment

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:54 AM