MOSS2007 - Cannot Create New Web Application, Extend is OK, Object reference not set to an instance of an object RRS feed

• Question

• Getting the dreaded Unknown Error/Object reference not set to an instance of an object when trying to create a new web application.

Turned on returning the error in IE in the web.config and this is what I get

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisApplicationPool.get_CurrentIdentityType() 
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPGlobalAdmin.get_ApplicationPools() 
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ApplicationPoolSection.PopulateApplicationPoolDropDownList(SPGlobalAdmin globalAdmin, String strSelectedAppPool, DropDownList ddlAppPoolIds) 
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ApplicationPoolSection.OnLoad(EventArgs e) 
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() 
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) 

The permissions all look fine on the sql end and nothing has changed so not sure why this is happening. I can extend a web application no problems. Turned on verbose trace logging but only gave me the same information as above. :( Any ideas or pointers on how I can fix this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:55 AM

All replies