Explorer's Folder settings change just about hourly. RRS feed

• Question

• I have heard this one before, it's getting a high score at the Windows UI Taskforce.

In short - I can open up my computer one minute and look at the nice grouped by type "Title View" and then go back a minute later and its some bizzare listing with only the "Name" column present.

Then of course every folder will eventually decided its a music folder, or at the very least randomly change the view.

Worst of all the check box in folder options called "Remember each folder's view settings" is simply non functional.  No difference whether its checked or not.

I am pretty sure MS knows about these bugs - any solutions out there?  This was working since Win95, now in Vista its a complete mess.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:28 AM

Answers

• Ryan

Take a look at the following website. There are several procedures there to reset the folder view settings, increase the cache memory for the folder settings and stop explorer from automatically setting the template.

Windows Explorer Folder View settings - Vista Forums:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html?ltr=W

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:15 AM