none
DPM service stops/restarts upon SMTP config. Error ID:917 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

We're running MSDPM 2012 R2, version 4.2.1417.0 with latest updates applied, SQL 2012 SP3 Standard locally installed on Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition, also up to date. Mail is via SMTP on a 2010 Exchange Server.

Everything appears to be running OK, protection groups are setup and backups are being performed with no errors but when I went to configure Email notifications (Options/SMTP Server) I get the "Connection to the DPM Server is lost" error. 

I've been able to enter SMTP Server Name, SMTP Server Port and "From" address and then click "OK" and all is good.

When I enter "Username" and "Password" in "Authenticated SMTP Server" field and click "OK" it crashes, or if I click on "send test email", enter the recipient details then click "send", it crashes.

If I go to "Options/Notifications" I can "Send test notification" and all is good.

Email settings are configured in Reporting Services Configuration Manager.

I've googled till my fingers bled :) with no success, can someone help me out here please.

Thanks in advance,

Ruffy.

• Edited by Ruffy64 Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:07 AM

Answers

• Solved!

Amongst the many reems of info I've perused I came across a registry edit for enabling email notifications with exchange servers that didn't require authentication. The solution involved deleting this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Notification

I browsed the registry and discovered that the registry key didn't exist on our machine and our exchange server DOES require authentication....hmmm.

So, I created said key with  a new String Value with Value Name = “SmtpUserName” and Value Data = “MyDomain\DPMAdmin”

Then created a new Binary Value with Value Name = “SmtpPassword” and left the Value Data field empty.

Restarted the DPM service.

Logged into Microsoft System Center 2012 R@ DPM console clicked on the Management window, clicked on options and selected the “SMTP Server” tab.

Under “SMTP Authenticated Server” the Username “MyDomain\DPMAdmin” was already entered (courtesy of the created registry String Value).

I entered the DPMAdmin password and it all worked.

It was simple after all.

Much happier now :)

• Marked as answer by Ruffy64 Friday, May 27, 2016 1:58 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:57 AM

All replies

• Further attempts to rectify this issue have shown that it may be a permissions or services configuration error.

I've found if I change the "Log on as" attribute of the DPM service from Local System account to that of a Domain User (the same Domain user account that SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services log on as) then I do in fact receive email alerts (even though there is no Username or Password present in Options/SMTP Server config) and I receive lots of them because DPM can no longer communicate with the Protection Agents.

So, I've been trying to find a list of DPM services with their preferred/recommended "Log on as" config's and appropriate permissions/rights assignments. I've not been too successful so far :(

EDIT: I compared the DPM services attributes with those on a DPM server on our Brisbane network and they appear the same; Brisbanes DPM server functions as it should.

• Edited by Ruffy64 Monday, May 23, 2016 3:06 AM Updated
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Solved!

Amongst the many reems of info I've perused I came across a registry edit for enabling email notifications with exchange servers that didn't require authentication. The solution involved deleting this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Notification

I browsed the registry and discovered that the registry key didn't exist on our machine and our exchange server DOES require authentication....hmmm.

So, I created said key with  a new String Value with Value Name = “SmtpUserName” and Value Data = “MyDomain\DPMAdmin”

Then created a new Binary Value with Value Name = “SmtpPassword” and left the Value Data field empty.

Restarted the DPM service.

Logged into Microsoft System Center 2012 R@ DPM console clicked on the Management window, clicked on options and selected the “SMTP Server” tab.

Under “SMTP Authenticated Server” the Username “MyDomain\DPMAdmin” was already entered (courtesy of the created registry String Value).

I entered the DPMAdmin password and it all worked.

It was simple after all.

Much happier now :)

• Marked as answer by Ruffy64 Friday, May 27, 2016 1:58 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem.

I created the value in registry, restart the server, entered the password, and I still get this error and the console crash.

I tried to use local user and domain user, I got the same errors.

Need help with this issue

Thanks,

Lior

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 6:25 AM
  • I just saw that update has been released, Rollup 10 for System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3143871

it solved the problem.

Lior

• Proposed as answer by Lior_f Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:14 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:13 AM