none
User profile migration - Copy local user account - Copy User profile RRS feed

• Question

• Question on Migration of users, user profiles and User application settings:

We have obtained a small CO, merging into ours and need the local user accounts from their PC's merged into our AD.
    More specificly wee need the contents AND application settings integrated with their new AD account profile!

Also there is an issue as they run Office 2013 and we run Office 2016!

It would also be nice with some tool for every day handling, backup and restore, of profiles when we reinstall or replace a PC.

• Edited by SveinKalmar Thursday, September 6, 2018 12:16 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hej Svein

Try USMT but use my GUI for USMT

Or, if you prefer running command line style, at least use my optimized reference XML files for USMT

When using USMT you get Office migrated the way MS decided it must be done. After all USMT is the MS reference tool for migrations of user profiles on windows.

USMTGUI also takes care of Edge and Sticky notes with my custom designed and built in
    USMT Afterburner
    - USMT Afterburner takes care of Sticky notes whether they are from a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 prior to 1607 (old sticky Notes) or from a later Windows 10, and makes sure they are integrated in the current Sticky Notes edition.

/Sam

• Edited by Thomas Ehler Friday, September 7, 2018 10:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:33 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

• Please refer to this case for some ideas.

What is the best tool for migrating user profiles?

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2093633-what-is-the-best-tool-for-migrating-user-profiles

In my opinion, Microsoft’s USMT is a good tool for enterprise-level profiles migration, of course, you can use other domain migration tool.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 7, 2018 3:29 AM
  • We tried forensits profile wizard a while back and after migration Office is NOT migrated from 13 to 16 and Outlook could not start.
    Neither Edge favorites or Sticky Notes are anywhere to be seen. NOT an option!

It seems to like TransWiz just copies everything over, including a lot of temp file crap..
    I can do that with Robocopy but to me that is not migration :-/

Friday, September 7, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hej Svein

Try USMT but use my GUI for USMT

Or, if you prefer running command line style, at least use my optimized reference XML files for USMT

When using USMT you get Office migrated the way MS decided it must be done. After all USMT is the MS reference tool for migrations of user profiles on windows.

USMTGUI also takes care of Edge and Sticky notes with my custom designed and built in
    USMT Afterburner
    - USMT Afterburner takes care of Sticky notes whether they are from a Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 prior to 1607 (old sticky Notes) or from a later Windows 10, and makes sure they are integrated in the current Sticky Notes edition.

/Sam

• Edited by Thomas Ehler Friday, September 7, 2018 10:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by SveinKalmar Friday, September 7, 2018 6:33 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2018 10:08 AM
  • You should definitely use USMTGUI from EhlerTech for migrating the foreign (workgroup?) PC user profiles to your own Domain. As USMTGUI is utilizing USMT you're certain everything is done according to MS references.

Your "everyday User profile handling tool"
    For backup/restore of user profiles, at Berkeley we use UPC.
    UPC - User Profile Central - runs from an ordinary Windows PC and does backup/restores over LAN/Wan to a central network share of your choice.

If setup on more Technicians PC's, as we have, preferably use the same network share. Then any Technician has access to all backups :-)
    Every backup is saved in a folder with date and PC name as part of the folder name and UPC is extremely simple to use.

Also check out this thread on Experts Exhange where Johan Svensson asks for more or less the same solution as you do:-)

GinaM

Friday, September 7, 2018 10:29 AM
  • Hi Gina

Thanks a bunch. Thomas Beat you to it but we have just performed aseries of tests and the Office migration is working nicely.

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:35 PM
  • Great! Office comes over perfectly adn so do StickyNotes although it's a bit quirky.

I found the thread below on Experts Exchange describing in depth how you fixed it
    https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29105312/User-profile-migration-migrate-user-accounts.html

I had no no idea MS has been this stupid in their design with modern UI. It's actually horrible..

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:39 PM