Opening Word 2000 documents that are partially single column and partially double column, or password protected RRS feed

• Question

• Works 2007 does not display correctly documents whose column format is not consistent throughout the entire document, for instance a two column newsletter prepared in Word 2000  with a masthead running the full width of the first page. It does not open documents saved in Word (doc) format that are password-protected, and does not display the familiar small window asking me to enter that password, which, as the writer of the document, I know.

Can any one suggest a work-around for either problem?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you installed any third party software especially security software yet? They might cause conflict with Works. If so, temporally disable them to test the issue.

You had better uninstall Works and reinstall it to check the result. As Works 9 was preinstalled and it is a brand new PC from Dell, you can ask the retailer for a replacement of Works 9 media to reinstall it.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When did this issue occur for the first time? Any software or hardware change?
    What is the model of your PC? Are you running windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

If this issue occurs recently, a system restore might be of help.

It also occurs when the previous version of Works was corrupted. I suggest remove all using Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility and reinstall Works 2007.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:33 AM
  • This issue occurs on a brand new Dell Vostro 220 having 3GB of RAM with Windows 7 32-bit and Works 9 pre-installed.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Have you installed any third party software especially security software yet? They might cause conflict with Works. If so, temporally disable them to test the issue.

You had better uninstall Works and reinstall it to check the result. As Works 9 was preinstalled and it is a brand new PC from Dell, you can ask the retailer for a replacement of Works 9 media to reinstall it.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Works 9 has been repaired using the back-up CD supplied by Dell. The problem recurs, it seems to be unable to display Word documents in which the number of columns alters part-way through. This means that my archive of newsletters cannot be opened in a readable format, and prevents the established masthead being reused on future editions.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:52 PM