none
Backup SQL on a Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have development SQL server on my Windows 7 desktop. When I setup the protection group the SQL instance does not show up. I also don't see the bare metal recovery option on the workstation. How can I use these features on a Windows 7 client?

Thanks

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have development SQL server on my Windows 7 desktop. When I setup the protection group the SQL instance does not show up. I also don't see the bare metal recovery option on the workstation. How can I use these features on a Windows 7 client?

Thanks

Hi William,

DPM will not see a SQL instance running on a workstation. It will only see this on a server operating system.

DPM also does not have BMR protection on workstations. Here is a blog post about that.

http://www.buchatech.com/2011/12/backing-up-system-state-of-windows-7-with-dpm/

For the SQL on your workstation you need to backup your SQL databases using SQL backups to a folder and let DPM pick up the data from there.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:12 PM