I need help on How to install XP on a Gateway notebook w/Vista Home Premium on it RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install it using a XP CD it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives on this computer"
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:44 PM

All replies

• 1) Boot into the Vista DVD
    2) Click 'Install Now'
    3) Go through steps, do not enter product key, until you get to 'Where do you want to install Windows' screen.
    4) Hit 'Shift+F10
    5)Type:
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk (disk #) <-Without ()
    list volume
    select volume (volume #) <-Without ()
    shrink querymax
    shrink desired=(size you want in MB) minimum=(size you want in MB) <-without ()
    exit
    exit

Now  open the dvd drive, swap the vista dvd for the xp cd, restart the system and boot into the XP installation.

If you don't want to use command prompt, or don't have a Vista DVD, you can also you 'partition magic' or 'gparted' to partition the drive.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:13 AM
  • I followed the same steps but the XP installation still did not recognize the  HD on this notebook.

I now have an active secondary partition to install XP on but it did not recognized  the HD.

I copy the XP CD content to this new partition. What next ? Download drivers for the HD and place it in the XP installtion ? create a bootdisk to put up the system and change to this partion drive letter and run the XP installation from this drive letter  or should I create an ISO for XP ? Please help. I am stumped...
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Hi

I have a prblem in Window XP O/S. So, please help me out.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 6:45 AM