none
Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to ask for opinions....windows 10, updates. i had been using WUS to roll out updates, but i seem to like the plain ole updates feature better, what do you all think ? do away with WUS and let windows 10 do its thing on its own ?? pros ?? cons ???

appreciated greatly !!!

Trapps

Steven J Einhorn

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:55 PM

Answers

• As far as Windows 10 is concerned I shall always suggest you to keep your system updated.

Otherwise there are both pros and cons. There are many updates which your system doesn't require at all but in automatic update there is no choice to filter.

You may configure the service accordingly:

How to Change Windows Update Settings When Managed or Disabled by System Administrator?

You may otherwise download the desired updates from here manually:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, August 12, 2016 7:37 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Hi Steven,

In enterprise environment, WSUS or SCCM can be regarded as a common choice, system admin use these two tools to manage clients’ updates and upgrades.

For WSUS, there are 5 advantages we should know:

1.More updates for Microsoft products, in more categories.

2.Ability to automatically download updates from Microsoft Update by product and type.

3.Maximized bandwidth efficiency through Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0. (BITS 2.0 is not installed by Update Services and is available on Microsoft Update.)

4.Ability to target updates to specific computers and computer groups.

5.Ability to verify that updates are suitable for each computer before installation - a feature that runs automatically for critical and security updates

Therefore, I advise you keep current WSUS configurations.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:46 AM

All replies

• As far as Windows 10 is concerned I shall always suggest you to keep your system updated.

Otherwise there are both pros and cons. There are many updates which your system doesn't require at all but in automatic update there is no choice to filter.

You may configure the service accordingly:

How to Change Windows Update Settings When Managed or Disabled by System Administrator?

You may otherwise download the desired updates from here manually:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, August 12, 2016 12:37 AM
  • Hi Steven,

In enterprise environment, WSUS or SCCM can be regarded as a common choice, system admin use these two tools to manage clients’ updates and upgrades.

For WSUS, there are 5 advantages we should know:

1.More updates for Microsoft products, in more categories.

2.Ability to automatically download updates from Microsoft Update by product and type.

3.Maximized bandwidth efficiency through Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0. (BITS 2.0 is not installed by Update Services and is available on Microsoft Update.)

4.Ability to target updates to specific computers and computer groups.

5.Ability to verify that updates are suitable for each computer before installation - a feature that runs automatically for critical and security updates

Therefore, I advise you keep current WSUS configurations.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:46 AM