All users are Administrator? RRS feed

• Question

• I did search, but was unable to find any related topic.  I don't have much experience with Sharepoint so forgive my ignorance.  This is a new install of WSS 3.0 SP2 on a fresh install of Windows 2003.

Any of our domain users who browse to the default/root Sharepoint site are logged in as Administrator into the site.  I swear this did not happen when I setup a similar test server, and that it would log you in using your current Active Directory user account?

**Update - I lied, it is only my account that continually logs in as Administrator unless I explicitly sign on with my normal account.  Could this be a browser cache issue?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:41 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - InfoPath Forms Services (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:22 PM

Answers

• Here is the answer to the problem.  Problem resolved itself after total reinstall of server and sharepoint as I was wasting too much time attempting to fix SharePoint errors.

Thank you to everyone that attempted to resolve the issue.

• Marked as answer by GHuey Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:18 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 22, 2011 8:24 AM Flame removed.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:18 PM

All replies

• It should be the account you are logged onto your computer with.  Which account did you use to log on to your computer?  Also, did you logon locally or on the domain?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Agreed, that is what I experienced on my test Sharepoint server that worked like a champ.

I am logged into my system with my domain user account...say domainA\JSmith

When I log into the root site I automatically log in as "Administrator" which I am not sure if this is our domain Administrator account or some internal SharePoint security account.

Tested with a normal domain user account and Sharepoint recognized her login correctly so hopefully it is isolated to my account.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:27 PM
  • I'm not familar with seeing "Adminsitrator" as the login... but I have seen "System Account" a lot.  This is usually caused by someone using their logon to install sharepoint.  Did you setup specific non-user accounts for your installation / configuration?

When you sign in as a different user and then enter your regular logon does it show up as expected?

• Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Are you sure it says Administrator and not System Account?  I have never in my life seen "Administrator" magically show up.  System Account shows up if you installed the bits with your personal account instead of a proper service account, or if your account is the Farm Account, neither of which are proper.

Is this question related to InfoPath at all?  It doesn't appear to be despite being in the InfoPath forum.  Please advise.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:58 AM
  • > Is this question related to InfoPath at all?  It doesn't appear to be despite being in the InfoPath forum.  Please advise.

This Moderator is convinced that it has nothing to do with InfoPath and so I'm moving it to the Admin forum without waiting for a reply from the OP.

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Is this question related to InfoPath at all?  It doesn't appear to be despite being in the InfoPath forum.  Please advise. 

No this has nothing to do with InfoPath.  Not sure how I ended up in that forum.

Triple positive it says Administrator and I have a screenshot to show it. In fact if I go to People and Groups > Team Site Owners the only account listed there is Administrator.  This is the account used to install SharePoint on the server itself, but I am browsing to the root site from my desktop computer under the context of my personal account.

I can "Sign in as a different user" and log in with my personal account fine, but the second I leave or reload the page I am automatically logged in under the Administrator account again.

I have cleared all the temp files under IE 9 and this made no difference.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:27 PM Do not use full quote. It wastes screen space for no gain. (and it is in the InfoPath forum because *you* posted it there.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Even if this "Administrator" account was the account used to install sharepoint it should say System Account instead.  Are you logged on your desktop locally or on the domain?  Also, please make sure you're not running Internet explorer as administrator (I'm leaning towards that this is the issue)
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Even if this "Administrator" account was the account used to install sharepoint it should say System Account instead.  Are you logged on your desktop locally or on the domain?  Also, please make sure you're not running Internet explorer as administrator (I'm leaning towards that this is the issue)

I 100% logged into our Windows 2003 domain with my personal domain account.  Pretty sure it is logging in with my DOMAIN Administrator account so I am not sure that running IE under elevated privileges would be do it.

What if I removed the "Administrator" account from the Site Owners permissions group and see what happens?

Also tons of errors in my event logs related to SharePoint...something is wrong although it appears to be functioning.

***Update:  See tons of errors on my server which seems to reference permissions issues with ASP/DCOM and the NETWORK SERVICE account.  Attempting to resolve those to see if it somehow related.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Here is the answer to the problem.  Problem resolved itself after total reinstall of server and sharepoint as I was wasting too much time attempting to fix SharePoint errors.

Thank you to everyone that attempted to resolve the issue.

• Marked as answer by GHuey Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:18 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 22, 2011 8:24 AM Flame removed.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:18 PM