can't get rid of the menu bar in explorer RRS feed

• Question

• hi just as the title says, whatever I do, I can't get rid of the menu bar in explorer. Doesnt work through the organize submenu, doesn't work from folder options, and doesn't work from group policy even after a reboot. Any clue? the only difference between now and before - when it worked fine - is SP1 installed yesterday evening. Not sure if that's related. thanks.

platform is W7/64 sp1

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:10 PM

All replies

• In Tools -> Folder Options, go to the View tab, then in Advanced Settings, look for 'Always show menus'. Is this checked? If it is, then uncheck it apply the new settings.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:01 PM
  • hmm... I'm not exactly a Windows noob :))) ... and I did specify that I verified that setting in my first post here.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Which bar are you concerning about? If it is the Menu Bar, it should work after you follow the step from VatSan. Do you mean Menu Bar in IE?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:07 AM
  • Are you on a computer controlled by an IT department?

I ask, because there's a Group Policy setting that will force the menu bar to be always present:

User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer - Display the menu bar in Windows Explorer

This policy setting configures Windows Explorer to always display the menu bar.

Note: By default, the menu bar is not displayed in Windows Explorer.

If you enable this policy setting, the menu bar will be displayed in Windows Explorer.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the menu bar will not be displayed in Windows Explorer.

Note: When the menu bar is not displayed, users can access the menu bar by pressing the 'ALT' key.

-Noel

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:52 PM
  • lol no, I'm using my own computer and like I said in the first post, I checked group policy to force the menu bar to not appear at all, as the switch (through the organize submenu, or the alt key, or the folder advanced options) didn't work anymore. Group Policy didn't work either (enforcing no toolbar at all). As usual in such cases when something is broken in Windows, I created a new account, and the toolbar switch works again :) >>> please don't mark that as an answer. I've been there before when reporting some other issues here on technet, I mean when in the end there's no solution and the only way out is to create another Windows profile, the moderation - after I reported that I created a new profile - marks my last post as "answer". I don't consider this an answer at all. An answer would have been a way to repair the broken feature without having to create another profile, and there's no such solution apparently. I browsed the web and found that others experienced a similar issue in Vista or Seven, suddenly the menu toolbar in Windows Explorer refuses to disappear when wanted, and that's just what happened to me for the first time. No big deal.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Well, for what it's worth, I hadn't tried eliminating the menu bar before now, because I happen to like it there.

But when I did try to hide it just now, it just stays there, so I'm seeing exactly the same issue you are.  I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

With your prior user account, were you running any UI-augmenting software?  I have the Classic Explorer piece of ClassicShell installed myself, and so my suspicions go to a possible incompatibility there.

-Noel

Friday, February 25, 2011 4:58 PM
  • ... my best guess is that the issue occurred just after the SP1 upgrade. No I don't use and never used any UI modifier.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:02 PM
  • What do you bet most of the Microsoft developers keep the Menus active, and no one noticed this blatant problem with upgrading to SP1 and continuing to use existing accounts.  The system tests probably create new accounts mostly.

-Noel

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:40 PM