Installing Vista on GPT disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Asus N56V laptop which came preinstalled with Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit that I am going to use as my main development machine.

I have installed Windows 8 RTM 64 bit on it in dual boot without any problems. (I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 to create the partition before installing).

I now need to install Vista on it as a 3rd boot option but it is refusing to install. My first attempt was to install the 32 bit version of Vista but that complained that it could not install because the disk was GPT type. Paragon said that all of the partitions on the hard drive were GPT type.

A quick look at the tables on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table suggested that 32 bit versions of Windows could not be installed onto a GPT disk, so I then tried to install the 64 bit version of Vista. This seemed to be installing OK, but near the end it produced the error "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed". I was installing by booting from the installation DVD.

What more can I do to get Vista to install?

If it is not possible to install Vista at all, then I have a follow-up question .... When the Vista install failed at the end, I then rebooted from the Vista DVD and ran a recovery which didn't help but seems to have rebuilt the boot menu - this seems to have changed the OS names in the menu and the default entry and maybe other stuff. If Vista is a no-go then I would like to set the menu back to its original state. I recall that when it started doing the recovery a message said that a backup of the boot options was created in a file but I can't remember what the displayed pathname was. Where is this file likely to be and how can I use it to restore the boot menu to how it was before I tried to install Vista?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Due to you are installing system on GPT, when you are installing Windows, you may need to explicitly instruct the computer to boot in UEFI mode.

If this error persists, you may recall if you used bcdedit command to make a backup of BCD store, the following article would give you some hints:

BCDEdit Commands for Boot Environment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463064.aspx

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Thanks Alex. I ended up installing Vista as a virtual machine which is OK for now, but I may still have to try a real install at some point if the virtual machine is insufficient for my needs. I'll make a note of your recommendation, although I seem to remember a CD boot menu on my PC that mentioned EFI .... anyway I'll check that again when/if I do a real install.

I did not take a backup of the BCD manually before I ran the Vista install, that is why I would like to get the backup copy that the Vista recovery procedure made and restore that, but I not know where it was stored. I remember that a pathname appeared briefly on screen but I didn't think to make a note of it

Do you know where the backup BCD file might have been stored?

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

It hard to say where did you locate it, but you may notice the following description in BCD document:

If you specify just the file name, BCDEdit creates the file in the current default folder.

You may search it in your system if you remember the file name.

Alex Zhao

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

Monday, September 3, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any update?

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:28 AM
  • > Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any update?

Sorry for the delay in replying. In the end the VirtualPC installation is too unlike a real installation, so it isn't a solution for me.

I'll have to look again at trying to install Vista 64 bit in dual boot, but I'm not hopeful.

Even if I can persuade the 64 bit Vista to install, it is frustrating that I can't install any 32 bit OS on my GPT formatted laptop. :(

I'll have enough free time to try again at the end of the week, and will post the results here.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 5:50 PM
  • I finally got back to trying this again.

This time I booted into Windows 8 and ran setup.exe from the Vista 64 bit installation DVD. It did a restart at the end of the file copying phase and the boot menu had an extra "Windows Setup" entry which is auto-selected. But this was followed by a blue screen STOP 0x000001E code. I just could not get the installation to proceed. I then had to restore the BCD to get the boot menu back to its original state.

I the tried installing by booting from the DVD - I shutdown the laptop and restarted it, and hit the ESC key to get a list of the boot devices and choose the UEFI entry for the DVD device. When the install began, the copying phase completed almost instantly - I assume it must have noticed that the files had already been copied by the earlier attempt. It proceeded to the final phase then it restarted the laptop - there was now a new "Windows Vista" in the boot menu whcih got auto-selected but again I got the blue screen STOP 0x0000001E code.

I'm completely out of ideas.

When the installation procedure forces a restart it had managed to edit the boot menu because it has add the extra entry.

I did notice that when out of curiouslity I hit ESC at the boot menu (when the extra entry was visible) it took me into the BIOS screen and the only boot device was a P0 entry (usually there are several including a EUFI). I'm guessing the installer is temporarily changing this so that installation continues from the DVD, but it makes me wonder how does the extra boot entry tell the laptop to boot or continue using UEFI?

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hello I recommend you to install vista on a mbr disk how well first u need windows 8 again then plug in the install disk then go to repair ur computer  command prompt type diskpart

then list disk 

type select disk what ever main number ur disk is

mine is disk 0

i type after that clean

then type convert MBR

reinstall window 8 then 7 then vista hope this helped

Saturday, March 31, 2018 6:18 AM