interactive services RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed quite a few Windows 2008 servers in vmware without issue, today however I find a new alert. After installing vmware tools on a 64-bit Windows 2008 Enterprise server with SP1, I see this error: The VMware Tools Service service is marked as an interactive service.  However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services.  This service may not function properly.
    How do I allow interactive services? Currently the "Interactive Services Detection" service is set to Manual and is not running.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

From the description, it seems that the VMware Tools Service has been configured as an interactive service. The error occurs because support for interactive services has been removed to mitigate security risk in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

As a workaround of the issue, you may cancel the "Allow service to interact with desktop" on the VMware Tools Service.

Event ID 7030 — Basic Service Operations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756339(WS.10).aspx

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Miles Li Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:27 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

From the description, it seems that the VMware Tools Service has been configured as an interactive service. The error occurs because support for interactive services has been removed to mitigate security risk in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

As a workaround of the issue, you may cancel the "Allow service to interact with desktop" on the VMware Tools Service.

Event ID 7030 — Basic Service Operations

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756339(WS.10).aspx

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Miles Li Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:27 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:12 AM
  • I looked this up and the service that is giving me this error already is marked to Allow service to interact with desktop. Is there something I should do with the Interactive Services Detection service?
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hello!  I'm wondering the same thing.  Did you get an answer to this?  It's for a third party printing package.  The service is marked to allow interactive services but I get an error in event logs stating that the server (Win 2008 R2) is configured to not allow it.  Is there anything to be concerned about?  I'm afraid the software won't work right and also found the interactive services detection thing.

• Proposed as answer by Cary Price Monday, April 11, 2011 12:25 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:22 PM
  • That is exactly what moderator told.

Windows vista and server 2008 does not allow services to interact with desktop. This functionality is removed.

Monday, December 5, 2011 9:20 PM