none
Delay in mail delivery from 3 to 4 am

Question

• Relatively new to admining an exchange server and my setup was inherited. I have multiple users reporting that we have a delay in the early morning hours and I am just trying to isolate and either explain or resolve the issue. We are running exchange 2010 on server 2008.

Here is an actual description I got from a user:

"Noticed some odd behavior around 3 to 4 am where automated emails are executing, but being held up somewhere in the email process. As of today, script finished at 3:05am, but email did not get to inbox until 4:27am"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:26 PM

Answers

• Relatively new to admining an exchange server and my setup was inherited. I have multiple users reporting that we have a delay in the early morning hours and I am just trying to isolate and either explain or resolve the issue. We are running exchange 2010 on server 2008.

"Noticed some odd behavior around 3 to 4 am where automated emails are executing, but being held up somewhere in the email process. As of today, script finished at 3:05am, but email did not get to inbox until 4:27am"

Probably throttling by the Exchange Server. By design if so. Check message tracking and you should see delay messages. Whenever I see "automated emails", thats the first thing I think. I wouldnt try to "fix" it either. Let Exchange protect itself and your mail service. 

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by flwsa326 Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:49 PM

All replies

• please analyse the internet header of the delayed email to identify on which hop the delay was.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:32 PM

Probably throttling by the Exchange Server. By design if so. Check message tracking and you should see delay messages. Whenever I see "automated emails", thats the first thing I think. I wouldnt try to "fix" it either. Let Exchange protect itself and your mail service. 

Blog:    Twitter:   

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by flwsa326 Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Thank you both for the quick responses. I checked the header of the email and there did not seem to be any sort of drop. The throttling policy is set to the default, and That is indeed the cause.

Thank you again!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:22 PM