none
Exchange 2007 Licensing Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a friend asking me that he is going to manage an Exchange 2007 forest. Previously this exchange has been installed with a cracked key, and they need to license it properly. 

Is it enough to order this product from any Microsoft Partner or shall everything be reformatted and the proper license key should be installed?

Moreoever; where I can find the updated licensing prices for Exchange 2007 ?

Thanks
    • Edited by erms Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:29 PM asd
    • Moved by ManU PhiliP Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi

I'm fairly sure that you cannot buy licenses for 2007 anymore so you would need to contact your vendor to buy 2010 licenses through the volume license program that can be downgraded to get 2007 keys.  You will also need Exchange CALs and Server CALs and you may need Enterprise CALs if any of those features have been used.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, January 28, 2013 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

I'm fairly sure that you cannot buy licenses for 2007 anymore so you would need to contact your vendor to buy 2010 licenses through the volume license program that can be downgraded to get 2007 keys.  You will also need Exchange CALs and Server CALs and you may need Enterprise CALs if any of those features have been used.

Cheers, Steve

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, January 28, 2013 4:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Thank you Steve!

But my question is, does he need to reformat everything because it was installed with a cracked key? Or they just need to pay for the license and that's it ?

Any updated link describing the pricing for such license (Exchange 2010 CALS, Server CALS, and the downgrade options?)

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:41 PM
  • No problem.

You can use this command to change the key on an Exchange server:

set-exchangeserver -identity servername -productkey XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

You shouldn't have to rebuild but I don't know what was done to "crack" Exchange to get it activated so this may or may not work.

As for pricing and downgrade options you will need to speak with a volume licence vendor or Microsoft directly http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx

Steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:17 AM