Windows Explorer: Context menu to a specific folder (background) RRS feed

• Question

• Both .reg commands add a custom item entry to a folder context menu:

1. Context menu to folders:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\my custom command] @="My command name" "AppliesTo"="C:\\My specific Folder\\" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\my custom command\command] @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

2. Context menu to folder background (empty area of a folder):
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\my custom command]
    @="My command name"
    "AppliesTo"="C:\\My specific Folder\\"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\my custom command\command]
    @="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""
    The line "AppliesTo"="C:\\My specific Folder\\" set which specific folder the menu entry will appear.

The problem is in (2) it won't accept "AppliesTo"="C:\\My specific Folder\\". If I put that registry value ("AppliesTo") the menu entry won't appear at all. How do I set a specific folder to (2)?
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to this link below for assistance. You can try the third-part software to make it.

Menu items in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-click-context-menu-items-editors

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to this link below for assistance. You can try the third-part software to make it.

Menu items in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-click-context-menu-items-editors

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:21 AM
  • I'm just wondering if there is any real answer to this.  I'm trying to do the same things (and appear to be looking at the same sites for help)  "AppliesTo" works on for me on selected files and folders but not in a "Background" where I really need it

Friday, January 6, 2017 10:54 PM
  • The answer provided by the moderator does not lead me anywhere. Somehow , the "AppliesTo" does not work. Either give me a reason why it does not work , or give me a workaround like one of the below options :

• "AppliesTo"=<the correct path>
    • "AppliesTo"= "System.ItemFolderPathDisplay:C:\\My specific Folder\\"
    • "AppliesTo"=<correct AQS (Advanced Query Search) syntax>

Waiting for your reply

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:21 AM