Is there an auto turn on and auto shutdown program/application in Windows 7 or anything I can use? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I started using this schedule built into my nas to automatically turn it on and off at scheduled times as I don't need it running 24/7. So I was wondering if there's such a program similar to this that I may be able to use in windows 7/xp on my desktop computer on a daily basis? Or maybe there's something built into windows? If this is not the correct place to ask this I apologise and just point me the the correct place and I'll ask there. Thanks.

• Edited by Mech0 Monday, January 23, 2012 5:29 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my experience, there seems no official program to achieve that from Microsoft. Auto power on need configuration with BIOS on your PC, and not every machine support auto power on. It depends on your machine hardware.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, January 30, 2012 12:49 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:36 AM

All replies

• Yep there is something like this built into windows 7/xp.

go to start>control panel>administrative tools>task scheduler

you can create a lot of different tasks in here to run and set times, dates etc.

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Thanks. I was thinking of something more like this. I don't know if there's a free version though. I did check my windows 7 tasks but I'm not sure that can boot up the computer and well it doesn't look like it would work too well for this, but I'll look a bit more since I didn't see anything about booting up. I've attached what my nas power timer schedule looks like. Simple and seems to work great.

http://drivermagician.com/autoshutdown/index.htm

• Edited by Mech0 Monday, January 23, 2012 11:50 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:42 PM
  • That seems a third party tools, please note third party tools may cause unexpected issues. So use them carefully.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:04 AM
  • You are correct Leo, it is a third party application but it didn't work so I removed it. So do you know what else/other program I could use or would it just be a schedule task in windows 7? I don't see anything about powering up under tasks though. I'll have to see if there's a power down as well as I think most tasks are for when the machine is already powered on.

• Edited by Mech0 Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my experience, there seems no official program to achieve that from Microsoft. Auto power on need configuration with BIOS on your PC, and not every machine support auto power on. It depends on your machine hardware.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, January 30, 2012 12:49 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Thanks Leo, that makes sense too. I just thought I throw the question out in case anyone may have seen anything like this. I'll keep using the power button for now. Maybe Microsoft can add something like this later, then you're computer can be ready for you when you get into the office for whatever time you set it. Just a thought. :)

• Edited by Mech0 Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:34 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:31 PM
  • You can also submit your suggestion to https://connect.microsoft.com/

If our development team consider your suggestion may update the Windows Function in the feature.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Hi Leo. I went to that site, but when I click on windows to see if I can just add a thread sort of like here for example, they just have a few options for other stuff that has nothing to do with what I would like to suggest. In short that site is kind of confusing. I just wanted to send the feedback and not just go into any random thread I guess. I did try, but thanks anyway.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:45 AM