none
Question on Application Publishing in UAG RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on a project where we need to publish FIM and a number of other custom applications over a UAG ADFS trunk. I have all of that working right in our test environment, but I am curious about how one thing works. When I access the FIM trunk using fim.company.com, the address in the web browser stays fim.company.com even though the FIM server is fimportal.company.com. However, when I access one of the custom applications using app.company.com, the browser address forwards me to the actual name of the server instead of remaining app.company.com. Is there a setting that will allow this custom application to remain app.company.com instead of being stuck with the server name showing up when users access it remotely? I know I can use CNAME records internally to change the name of the server as UAG accesses it, and I can do that no problem, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some setting somewhere I could set to have the same affect.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:58 PM

Answers

• I actually figured out the problem. Our test environment wasn't really representative of a proper deployment, and as a result the test user was getting redirected to the ADFS server, which had the same Host Name as the published ADFS Server (per requirements). To fix the problem, I set a host file on the test client pointing the ADFS host name to the UAG server. When I did that, reverse proxy worked properly.
    • Marked as answer by Adam C Brown Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• If I understand your question correctly, I think you might be using two different templates to publish your applications.  If you want the URL to stay the same to external users try publishing the application using the portal specific host name template, or specifying the portal name when using the application specific host name template.  
    Friday, November 2, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Yes, I'm using different templates. The Forefront Identity Management template to publish FIM and the Other Web Application (application specific hostname) template to publish a custom web page. If I try to publish the webpage using the Other Web Application (portal hostname) template, I can't get to the site and it tells me "The URL you have requested is not associated with any application"

I have to get this figured out, because once we move this into production the current methodology for operation will cause problems. In particular, it seems that it's not doing a reverse proxy for this web application. It's just operating as an ADFS proxy and forwarding me to the actual webpage at its internal address.

Monday, November 5, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Are you using the UAG portal application? If the portal specific hostname template is not working, use the application specific hostname template and set the external url to the same as the trunk.  You will have to define a "sub url" (server.internal/app) on the backend server for this to work, because UAG needs a way to determine the mapping between external and internal resources.  
    • Edited by David_Sutton Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:13 PM sp
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:12 PM
  • I actually figured out the problem. Our test environment wasn't really representative of a proper deployment, and as a result the test user was getting redirected to the ADFS server, which had the same Host Name as the published ADFS Server (per requirements). To fix the problem, I set a host file on the test client pointing the ADFS host name to the UAG server. When I did that, reverse proxy worked properly.
    • Marked as answer by Adam C Brown Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:56 PM