What is mean of Quorum Type: Majority as compare to NodeMajority or NodeAndFileShareMajority RRS feed

• Question

• We have 5 nodes Exchange 2016 DAG. If I run the command Get-ClusterQuorum then it returns the Quorum Type: Majority

Question: Why it is not returning the Quorum Type: NodeMajority as cluster have 5 nodes? Moreover, as it is returing the  Quorum Type: Majority so what does it mean and whether quorum is in NodeMajority or NodeAndFileShareMajority, how can I determine this?
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:08 AM

All replies

• NodeMajority is for when you have Odd number of servers in an cluster.

NodeAndFileShareMajority is for when you have an Even number of nodes in an cluster.

You can read more about clustering and quorum here:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2012/06/27/clustering-what-exactly-is-a-file-share-witness-and-when-should-i-use-one/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc770620(v=ws.10)

Here are an example for an 2-node cluster:

[PS] C:\>Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup | ft Name,Servers,WitnessServer
    Name    Servers                       WitnessServer
    ----    -------                       -------------
    DAG01   {MBX01, MBX02}                FILE01.contoso.local

[PS] C:\>Get-ClusterQuorum |fl
    Cluster        : DAG01
    QuorumResource : File Share Witness (\\FILE01.contoso.local\DAG01.contoso.local)
    QuorumType     : NodeAndFileShareMajority

And here are with an 3-node cluster:

[PS] C:\>Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup | ft Name,Servers,WitnessServer
    Name   Servers                        WitnessServer
    ----   -------                        -------------
    DAG02  {MBX01, MBX02, MBX03} 	      FILE01.contoso.local

[PS] C:\>Get-ClusterQuorum |fl
    Cluster        : DAG02
    QuorumResource :
    QuorumType     : Majority

Regards,

Joel

Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi Joel, 

Thanks for your reply. I am aware about Node Majority and NodeAndFileShareMajority. My DAG is consist on 5 nodes. My question was why Get-ClusterQuorum command is not returning the Node Majority?

Right now my cluster is showing Quorum Type= Majority. What is mean of simple Majority?

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:02 AM
  • I think Node Majority and Majority would be the same thing here, the only different is that Node Majority is for a Windows Server and Failover Cluster and Majority when it's related to Exchange and DAG.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:13 AM
  • Hi Jeol, 

I don't think so. I also have Hyper-V 2016 2 node cluster and it is also returning the Quorum Type= Majority. I am not sure about it.

• Edited by Asif-Janjua Friday, February 23, 2018 5:37 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Hi Asif,

Please try to use Failover Cluster Manager connect to the cluster service. Then you can connect to either a node or specify the DAG name as the connection point. 

Click on the cluster name in the upper left hand corner of the utility. In the center window information is displayed regarding the cluster configuration.

One piece of information is the “Quorum Configuration”.  This will list the type of quorum in use and if a file share witness is configured the server and share name utilized as the witness. Check what the Quorum Type is listed here.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 7:42 AM
  • HI Winnie, 

I have IP-Less DAG so I can not connect to the cluster through GUI and I have only option to check the cluster quorum through commands. I am just asking, what is meaning when cluster returns type as "Majority".

Exchange Cluster: 

Hyper-V Cluster ( 2 nodes) :

• Edited by Asif-Janjua Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:40 PM