The underlying storage of a SharePoint site and setting one up RRS feed

• Question

• When a user uploads a file to a SharePoint site, where does the file go?   I would assume to the SQL Server database.

When someone searches a SharePoint site, are the search terms passed to a SQL query via SSIS?  How much would it cost to set up a SharePoint site at home?  I imagine the biggest cost would be the hardware for a Windows 2003 Server and the licensing for SharePoint.  The evaluation version of SQL Server 2008 could support the database.  Then a desktop computer could browse the site.  Is it that simple?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:45 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Yes, your assumption is correct. when anyone uploads a file to a library in a sharepoint site, it goes to the content database (SQL Server DB) of the web application. Most of the pages, data related and setting information of a Sharepoint site are stored in the content database.

Regarding search, there wont be any query fired in the SQL Server. The sites should be indexed first, the SP Search service crawls the sites and saves the required data as index. When we search for some keyword, it is searched from the index file and results are fetched.

For setting up windows at home (for development), Windows 7 would work, you dont need a Windows 2003 Server...

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Also, WSS 3.0 is free. I'm assuming you're talking about SharePoint 2007, since this is the pre-2010 forums. If you want to setup SharePoint however, I would suggest you go with SharePoint Foundation, the 2010 version. Foundation is also the free version.

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, your assumption is correct. when anyone uploads a file to a library in a sharepoint site, it goes to the content database (SQL Server DB) of the web application. Most of the pages, data related and setting information of a Sharepoint site are stored in the content database.

Regarding search, there wont be any query fired in the SQL Server. The sites should be indexed first, the SP Search service crawls the sites and saves the required data as index. When we search for some keyword, it is searched from the index file and results are fetched.

For setting up windows at home (for development), Windows 7 would work, you dont need a Windows 2003 Server...

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Also, WSS 3.0 is free. I'm assuming you're talking about SharePoint 2007, since this is the pre-2010 forums. If you want to setup SharePoint however, I would suggest you go with SharePoint Foundation, the 2010 version. Foundation is also the free version.

Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant

Sunday, February 19, 2012 7:11 AM