none
DPM 2010 - System Protection Trouble RRS feed

• Question

• My apologies for the length but I wanted to give as much detail as possible:

The issue

So I’m having this odd issue with DPM 2010 (updated to version 3.0.7706.0). We do many “System Protection” backups of servers most of which work just fine. However on two servers, both running Windows Server 2008 R2, the Replica is always inconsistent. It may not matter but one is our primary domain controller the other is a Citrix XenApp host, so you can imagine why I really want this protection to come up OK.

Also for background the Citrix server was working until we moved it to a different protection group one day, and then it never worked again.

DPM Error Messages:

On the first server (Citrix Host) where the system protection is failing the error message in the monitoring tab of the DPM Server states this:

“The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on citrixhost.contoso.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

DPM cannot create a backup because Windows Server Backup (WSB) on the protected computer encountered an error (WSB Event ID: 517, WSB Error Code:  0x8007048F). (ID 30229 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)”

On the other server (Domain Controller) where the system protection is failing the error message in the monitoring tab of the DPM Server states this:

“The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on domaincontrol.contoso.com is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (0x80070020))”

In the event viewer (Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Backup->Operational) on the Citrix server, I see this error:

“The backup operation that started at '‎2013‎-‎01‎-‎17T16:26:30.378625600Z' has failed with following error code '2147943567'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.”

In the event viewer (Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Backup->Operational) on the domain controller server there oddly enough is no error message.

Things I have tried:

First the easy things, I have removed and re-installed the DPM protection agent from both of the client servers. But that has not helped. I have also deleted the protection group and the inactive protection data, and re-created a new protection group for the System Protection of both servers but to no avail, both continue to show the “Replica is inconsistent”.

I’ve done many web searches of the error messages above, and one of the most common answers seems to be, that DPM sometimes doesn’t do an accurate assessment of data size for System

Protection and you have to increase the size disk allocation for the replica volume and/or the recovery point volume. I’ve done this several times; to ridiculous sizes (for instance 1 TB for the Replica Volume and ½ a TB for the recovery point volume), but it does not seem to make a difference. There is plenty of free space on all server including the clients being backed up as well as the storage on the DPM server.

Any recommendations you might have to help me get these backing up properly and the little green check mark to come up for the System Protection on both of these servers would be most appreciated!

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:33 PM

Answers

• Just as a follow-up with this, since we had some free Microsoft support incidents lying around I decided to bite the bullet and see what they had to say. It seems to be fixed now.

It seems that when the DPM agent was first installed on the domain controller server there was a large external USB drive attached that mounted as the E: drive. And that is where DPM setup it's "staging area" for backups. Turns out the DPM agent will always put this “staging area” in the largest drive available. And despite reinstalling the DPM agent, and reconfiguring protection for the server, it was still set to the non-existent E: drive, and therefore failed. There is an XML file that is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources it's called PSDataSourceConfig.xml. The Microsoft tech found an entry in there that pointed to the non-existent E: Drive and changed it to C:

I am not all clear yet, but we seem to be making progress as the backup is still running and replica creation is still in progress, but it's a good sign because before it was just immediately failing.

I'll report back as to whether it absolutely works or not.

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by db1010110 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by db1010110 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you run a manual consistency check what errors occur? What version you running? Are you up-to-date with patches?

You can also run this command to check: vssadmin list shadowstorage

Ref: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/70950943-c4ff-47aa-b1b3-3b10c5835dfa

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I posted the error message I receive in my original post, I receive the same ones after manually running a consistency check. As well as the version number. Yes I am up to date with patches.

I will run the command and see what happens. Edit: What exactly am I looking for with this command's output?

• Edited by db1010110 Friday, January 18, 2013 7:27 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Just as a follow-up with this, since we had some free Microsoft support incidents lying around I decided to bite the bullet and see what they had to say. It seems to be fixed now.

It seems that when the DPM agent was first installed on the domain controller server there was a large external USB drive attached that mounted as the E: drive. And that is where DPM setup it's "staging area" for backups. Turns out the DPM agent will always put this “staging area” in the largest drive available. And despite reinstalling the DPM agent, and reconfiguring protection for the server, it was still set to the non-existent E: drive, and therefore failed. There is an XML file that is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources it's called PSDataSourceConfig.xml. The Microsoft tech found an entry in there that pointed to the non-existent E: Drive and changed it to C:

I am not all clear yet, but we seem to be making progress as the backup is still running and replica creation is still in progress, but it's a good sign because before it was just immediately failing.

I'll report back as to whether it absolutely works or not.

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by db1010110 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by db1010110 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:23 PM