none
Unable to change Quorum Model in 2012R2-Hyper-v Cluster

Question

• Dear Friends,

I am unable to change quorum model with below command. Below is my infra details. Would any body  help me on this

4 Node Hyper-v 2012 R2 cluster

Current Quorum is Disk only

I am running below command, but it is not changing .. With GUI also, i tried --No luck

Set-ClusterQuorum –Cluster Left01 -NodeAndDiskMajority "Cluster Disk 2"

Thanks

Ram Prasad

Warm Regards Ram Prasad

Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Ram,

When you change the quorum mode, did you get any errors?

Have you run cluster validation and are there any related information?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

No error found and no errors found validation report. Would you please guide what is the method in 2012 R2 to change Quorum model .As in 2012,we have GUI way.

Also, in 2012R2 is it okay to have Disk Witness for 4 Node Hyper-v Cluster

Warm Regards Ram Prasad

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:11 AM
  • Yes, a disk witness is valid for 2012 R2 cluster.

Can we assume that 'cluster disk 2' is accessible by all nodes of the cluster?  What was the quorum model before you tried to change it?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Yes Cluster Disk2 is accessible  across all and Quorum Model is Disk Witness before i change...

Warm Regards Ram Prasad

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:51 AM
  • So if the model is Disk Witness before you change and you are trying to change it to Disk Witness, does that mean that all you are trying to do is change the disk witness from one disk to another disk?

If yes, make sure that the disk you want to become the new disk witness is not currently assigned to anything else in the cluster.

I would generally first change the model from Disk Witness to nothing.  Then in a second step I would change it back to Disk Witness and select an available disk, i.e. one that is not configured to any other resource group of the cluster.

tim

Friday, March 17, 2017 11:19 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I do not want change the new disk witness, my simple query is how to change the Quorum Model from DiskWitness to "Node And Disk Majority" . In 2012, we have GUI,how  is in 2012r2

Also, as you said Disk witness is recommended for any number of nodes - I am little bit wondered here. Would you please provide KB or blog on this..

Warm Regards Ram Prasad

Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Starting with Windows Server 2012, Microsoft instituted a 'dynamic' quorum model.  That means there is no need for you to select Node and Disk Majority.  It actually happens automatically. Here is a blog post that talks about how this work. Basically, the cluster automatically adjusts to the best quorum model depending upon the number of nodes in the cluster.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server-2012/dynamic-quorum-windows-server-2012

tim

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:46 PM