Steady State is gone after powering on RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Steady State on 25 new Library computers with Vista Business.  Everything went well the first week.  When we came in on Monday morning to boot the computers three of the PC's booted to the user login screen with only the Admin account showing for login.  I logged into the Admin account and Steady State was not installed the the shared user account was gone as well.  I had to reinstall Steady State and set the computers back up.  Two of these problem PC's were at one location and one at another.  The only different was before shutdown on friday I have the computers set to perform windows update and AVG update throught the Steady State software and then use task manager to rund a screipt that shuts down the PC's and hour later.  I use the same script to shut down the PC's Mon - Thur as well with no rpoblems.  The only difference is the updates on Friday.  Twenty two of the computer were fine.  Can you help?

Thank you,

Monday, September 15, 2008 7:44 PM

Answers

•  

Do you mean those updates may cause the issue? I suggest you install Windows SteadyState on computer again and check if the issue still occurs after installing updates. Also, have you installed any hard drive roll back program on the computer?  

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:26 AM

All replies

•  

Hi tdeckard, thank you for the feedback on the issue. Have you reinstalled Windows SteadyState on that 3 computers? If so, does the issue still remains after reinstalling them?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:30 AM
  • Yes I reinstalled on all three computers.  Something interesting though when I attempted to set the disk protection on after reinstalling Steady State I was told via a screen that I must defrag the hard drive first, but when I attempted to defrag I got a message saying that a group policy had disabled defrag.  I had to use system restore to go back a ways before I could make the disk protection work.  

So far this week all is well, however it was the weekend when I had the problem last time.  Again, the only thing different about the problem time was that I have Steady State set to receive the Windows Updates and the AVG Antivirus updates, via a script from there websites made for this purpose, on Friday before shutting down an hour later.  This is the last thing to happen on Friday.  It was on Monday morning when the computers were booted that the problem appeared on three of the computers.   The computers had been of all weekend. I have all twenty five computer configured the same.  All are new Dell Optiplex 330's.  I am going to the site where two of the computers failed this Monday morning to turn them on myself and see what happens first hand.  I looked for something unique on these three failing computers but could find nothing. All computers had the latest windows updates, antivirus, program etc. before installing Steady State. A real mystery that needs to be solved.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:10 AM
  •  

Do you mean those updates may cause the issue? I suggest you install Windows SteadyState on computer again and check if the issue still occurs after installing updates. Also, have you installed any hard drive roll back program on the computer?  

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Here's an update.  I went in this morning to find all computers at the one location still on and on a screen that gave me the option to "restore" or "cancel".  The message stated that Windows could not repair the disk.  Evidently the computers had not shutdown properly and all of them had this error.  I clicked on "cancel" and "finish" and the computers started to shut down and it showed there was three updates being installed first.  I then rebooted the computers and everything came back up properly on all of the computers.

Later in the day there was a brief power outage at the location and all of the computers shutdown suddenly as they have no UPS attached.  When the computers were turned back on there was the exact same screen as described above.  So, it appears that there is something happening on Friday evening causing this error.  

One possible idea is this.  The other location with the 12 PC's reported no errors this morning.  It appears the computers were off and booted up properly when powered on.  there is one difference between these computers and the ones that had the problems this morning.  the 12 PC's that had no errors this morning stay on about 11/2 hours while updating and before shutting down.  The ones that had problems this morning stay on about 1 hour while updating and before the auto shutdown.

I'm wondering could the computers be shutting down before the updates are complete and causing this error.  It is a timed shutdown using a script and the built in task scheduler.  That's the only difference in the PC's or the software etc. I can come up with.  I will try to extend the shutdown time this weekend and see what happens I guess.  This is a frustrating problem that I must get resolved soon.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:49 AM
  • This is Robert a tech over at Sprint, and I am having the same problem, 5 out of 15 laptops, same exact thing.  No the only difference is that I had to wipe the laptops clean to reinstall the software, a real pain in the neck, How did you uninstall and reinstall the software, just using the regular tools?  Another thing, even with the program not showing up on the task bar I see that the computer is showing the program running, but it is not working??? Did this happen to you and how did you fix it?  Thank you for any help..

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:43 PM