none
Outlook 2016 Outlook Anywhere download mails to PST.

Question

• Hi,

I am on Exchange 2010 SP3 RU15 & Outlook 2016.

One of our user requires to connect to the Exchange 2010 server using Outlook Anywhere to get the full Outlook experience like GAL, Calendar etc..  But, he doesn't want to keep any mails on the server and download all the mails (similar to POP3) to his computer.  Is it possible to download the mail to .PST when using Outlook Anywhere?  The user is on Outlook 2016.  

Appreciate any assistance.

TIA 

Mathew

Monday, May 1, 2017 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Mathew,

If you want to get the full Outlook experience like GAL, Calendar etc, configure the Exchange account as POP3 is not an option. I'd recommend you configure the Exchange account normally on the computer and then enable AutoArchive or manual archive to move all old items from the Exchange mailbox to local PST file. For your reference:

Archive older items manually:

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Archive-older-items-manually-in-Outlook-for-Windows-fa03020e-55af-4eeb-94fb-925f640d942d

Archive older items automatically:

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Archive-older-items-automatically-25f44f07-9b80-4107-841c-41dc38296667

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hi Dear,

Please suggest him to follow the method suggested by "Steve Fan". Besides, he can also try third party solution to convert Exchange 2010 mailbox to PST file format quickly without getting any issue.

Best Regards,
    Kelvin Howard
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying.  Thank you for the responses.

Actually the user is presently on POP3 and downloads all the message from the server to .pst leaving no mails on the server and I want to move him to Outlook Anywhere.

But, the users wants all the mails to be downloaded to his PC as it was in POP3 and leave no messages on the server but willing to move from POP3 to Outlook Anywhere.

The user being high profile, I cannot argue to use Outlook Anywhere and leave the mail on the server and auto archive as suggested by Kelvin.

I think in Outlook 2007 or something, there was an option to set the delivery location to .pst which will download the mails to .pst.  But, not sure.  Any further solutions.  

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:19 AM
  • Thank you for the update, Liby. 

As I mentioned above, we can enable POP3 for an Exchange account and set up the mailbox as POP3, which will download all emails to local and remove them from server, however, in this case, you will lost access to your calendar, contacts, tasks and GAL.

>>I think in Outlook 2007 or something, there was an option to set the delivery location to .pst which will download the mails to .pst.

In previous version of Office, we can change the default delivery location of an Exchange account to a local PST file. However, this option has been removed for Exchange account since Outlook 2013 version.

In my opinion, manually/automatically move emails to PST file via AutoArchive/manual archive is the only method in your situation. 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:20 AM