SenderID always fails with TEMPERROR. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a situation where I am not able to get SenderID working for one of the edge servers.,   I have two edge servers 10.248.64.135 and 10.248.64.134. I have been receiving a lot of spam mails from 135, and all the headers of the spam mails had SenderID status as TEMPERROR with DNS Timeout. One of the blogs here had a test for a domain called this.at ., so i took the liberty of using the same command and testing if SENDERID is actually working or not., and here is the output

Server 10.248.64.135

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>Test-SenderId -IPAddress 64.85.73.124 -PurportedRespons
    ibleDomain this.at

Status                 FailReason Explanation
                        ------                 ---------- -----------
                     TempError                       None

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>Test-SenderId -IPAddress 62.116.13.66 -PurportedRespons
    ibleDomain this.at

TempError                       None

server 10.248.64.134

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>Test-SenderId -IPAddress 64.85.73.124 -PurportedRespons
    ibleDomain this.at

Fail               NotPermitted

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>Test-SenderId -IPAddress 62.116.13.66 -PurportedRespons
    ibleDomain this.at

Fail               NotPermitted

While its returning the expected response from Server 134 ., Server 135 always gives TEMPError making me beleiving that this is the reason i have so many spams coming from this server.  Both the servers have the same DNS Server in the same subnet.

I tried to Disable SenderID, Restart Transport Service, Enable SEnderID and Restart service again. no Luck..

Any ideas on how to t/s this issue ?

SrinivasL
    Friday, July 9, 2010 9:12 AM

Answers

• Solved the issue .,  It was a DNS error eventually.,  Saw an error in event viewer throwing a 205 for DNS on a disabled adapter on the server. Went to edge transport properties and assiged the enabled adapters DNS to both internal and external DNS lookups and it worked like a charm.!
    SrinivasL
    • Marked as answer by Srinivas L Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:07 PM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:07 PM

All replies

• Also , To rule out DNS issues., following is the same output from both servers

C:\Users\Administrator>nslookup -query=txt q-vision.se
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  10.248.64.137

Non-authoritative answer:
    q-vision.se     text =

"v=spf1 ip4:62.65.9.220/31 a ~all"

SrinivasL
    Friday, July 9, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Solved the issue .,  It was a DNS error eventually.,  Saw an error in event viewer throwing a 205 for DNS on a disabled adapter on the server. Went to edge transport properties and assiged the enabled adapters DNS to both internal and external DNS lookups and it worked like a charm.!
    SrinivasL
    • Marked as answer by Srinivas L Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:07 PM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:07 PM