none
installing Server 2012 Essentials on hyper-v of Server 2012 std RRS feed

• Question

• According to the Server 2012 std license you should be able to load Server 2012 Essential as a virtual instance.  Where can I find an iso file or DVD the works with my Server 2012 Std license key.  Or, how do you load Server 2012 Essential using the Server 3012 STD Media?

JSpearman

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:46 PM

Answers

• The "Windows Server Essentials Experience" is available on the Standard version of 2012 R2 also, you added in the roles and features wizard.

If you're stuck on the essentials install, contact your MS rep or reseller to see about keys and media.

• Marked as answer by jspearman Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:23 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:02 PM

All replies

• You can get media from your reseller or your MS licensing rep, you only get the media for the version you purchased.  You'll also need a license key for the installation.

Why do you want to run a lower version of Server 2012?  If you're only running the Hyper-V role on the host server, you're allowed to run 2 standard server versions as VMs.

Here's info on Server 2012 licensing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-windows-server-virtualization.aspx

Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  I wish to run the Essential version because of its remote desktop features.  A configuration the was recommended in a Microsoft presentation that I once saw in a Technet video.  The following is the verbiage directly extracted from the brief the to referred me to: "If you have Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard edition, you will have the right to run the bits of any prior version of Enterprise, Standard or Essentials edition. If you have Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials edition, you will have the right to run the bits of any prior version Essentials edition. You should remember that the ability to run previous version or edition bits does not change the licensing or support terms in which you can use the product; the purchased product (Windows Server 2012 R2) rights apply. This means that the license will continue to cover the processors or sever stated in the Product Use Rights and the virtualization rights do not change." 

JSpearman

Thursday, January 7, 2016 4:47 AM
  • The "Windows Server Essentials Experience" is available on the Standard version of 2012 R2 also, you added in the roles and features wizard.

If you're stuck on the essentials install, contact your MS rep or reseller to see about keys and media.

• Marked as answer by jspearman Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:23 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:02 PM