Vista / Screen Lock / SQL breaks RRS feed

• Question

•  

If I let Vista timeout (I have it set for 20 minutes) and lock my session (I have a password set) or if I press the Windows key and L, when I log back in, my previously active and working fine connection to SQL server is broken. I have a ODBC setting for SQL server. I have tried with different SQL servers, with SQL 2005 and 2008, with the same result each time. The only way I have been able to get out of it so I can connect again is by restarting the Vista machine. Does anyone know how to get the screen lock to work so that when you log back in Vista restores the connection to SQL? I am using SQL Server Native Client 10 but I had the same isue with the SQL client for the 2005 release of SQL. I don't know if this is a known bug or not. Anyone have any idea about this I would appreciate it if you could let me know if there is a workaround. It is a pain this way. I have Vista Ultimate patched up to date with an Intel 975XBX2 MB patched up to date, and OFC2K7.
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 7:03 PM

Answers

•  

Hi tech329, I recommend you post the issue to our SQL server forum via the following link:   

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=93&SiteID=17

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:01 AM

All replies

• I need to add a couple more pieces of information I omitted that may be helpful. The screen lock / login problem is unique by itself. That is, I can fully log off the workstation and log back in and my SQL connections are intact. I am working in a domain. All computers are members of the domain. The SQL server has a fully registered SPN in the domain and otherwise works normally. The problem happens both using linked tables or if using an ADP. The error is it can't find the SQL server. No amount of messing with ODBC DSN settings brings back the connection. The SQL server computer can be pinged via IP and using its DNS name and returns the FQDN. The DC is W2K3.

Bottom line is only when the Vista workstation locks via the screen saver / password does it not restore the connection to the SQL server after logging back in. I haven't actually turned off the screen saver / lock because that isn't allowed and is enabled via domain group policy.

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:15 AM
  • I ran into this little gem on the Vista networking forum.

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

It seems to resolve the problem. The screen can lock and when logging back in the connection is retained. It's a workaround. I am thinking the behavior I am seeing is associated with the security in Vista. However, breaking the network connections via the screen saver / lock should provide for restoring the connections when the user logs back in. Using a workaround like this would seem to violate the security. 

Monday, October 6, 2008 7:47 AM
  •  

Hi tech329, I recommend you post the issue to our SQL server forum via the following link:   

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=93&SiteID=17

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:01 AM