Windows Media Opens Behind Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• I have my taskbar on the top of the screen instead of the bottom.  When I open a video file with Windows Media Player, the top bar of the window is underneath the taskbar.   It seems like a bug rather then something wrong with the system.  Normally, with normal sized videos, Windows Media Player will remember the last position of the window the last time it was closed.  But after watching an HD video (720p, my screen resolution is 1280x800), and then opening a normal sized video again, the window opens under the taskbar once again.

Monday, July 5, 2010 5:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please see:

Resize Windows Media Player to fit a video

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 9, 2010 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi jamvng,

Resize the window in question.

Open the "normal sized" video window.

Right-click at the top and select move.

Now, click and drag it to the top left of the screen.

Right-click the top of the window again and select size

Place the + icon at the low right corner of the window, click and drag to fill the screen.

Now close the window.

Open or play a "normal sized" video. The window should open at the position and size that you set. 

Monday, July 5, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

Please see:

Resize Windows Media Player to fit a video

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, July 9, 2010 8:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:17 AM
  • I am also having this problem but with many different programs.  The problem is that since my taskbar is on the top of the screen, the program opens with the menu bar hidden behind the taskbar.  I thus can't click on the menu to minimize, maximize, etc.  I have found a stupid work-around, that if you manually resize the window (drag the sides or bottom of it) then the window finally realizes that it is behind the taskbar and then relocates itself accordingly.  This is very frustrating, as the program always opens behind the taskbar and even once I resize and fix it, the next time I open it, I have to do it all over again! 

I agree with you jamvng that this is a windows bug.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hi JTGYK,

Have you tried auto-hide on your top positioned task bar? That would avoid the constant window resizing.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:13 AM
  • I doubt anyone is still following this any more ... but I am with JustThisGuyYouKnow. It is such a pain and sometime I cannot even manually resize the window in order to get windows to "pop it out" from behind the taskbar. In these cases I actually have to drag the taskbar to a new position and move the offending window. I should not have to use the auto hide option. Auto hide is OK if your taskbar is at the bottom of the screen but when it is at the top you constantly "activate" it when flipping through browsing tabs or when using menus in various programs. Then there is that second delay before it pops down and back up. Is there really no work around for this problem?
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:08 AM
  • Press alt-space on the window that is behind the taskbar and select move. Use the arrow keys to move the window down.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:21 AM