Print Spooler running at 50% RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user whose PC is very slow. Spoolsv.exe is continuously running at 50%. Verified there were no old print jobs, removed the current spoolsv.exe and replaced with original from i386 dir, ran malware and virusscan, tried the msoft fix it tool but that did not work.

Issue is that when I stop the spooler service the PC obviously runs better. When service is running I am unable to open printers folder or even add one from network. As soon as I shut down the service it runs great but of course cannot add printers.
    I just need to figure out if it is corrupt or what can i do to fix my issue.
    Running XP SP3 on dell optiplex

I installed the process explorer and ran that. Wanted to send that for review. I have it posted in my live folder but need to add the moderator for this forum.

Monday, November 9, 2009 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

First, please check if this issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean Boot
    =============
    Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:  

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Does it occur?

As for the process explorer log, please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Please note, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, November 13, 2009 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

First, please check if this issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean Boot
    =============
    Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:  

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Does it occur?

As for the process explorer log, please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Please note, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Friday, November 13, 2009 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:12 AM
  • when the spooler is running delete printer connections and local printers from the machine.  Once the printers have been deleted delete the print drivers.  Stop and start the print spooler service.

Add printers back one at a time.  Verify print functionality after ever successful add printer.
    Alan Morris
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:21 PM