none
Group Policy Management Console Failes to open when one Domain Controller is powered down

Question

• Hi All,

This was an accidental discovery, but here's my dilemma. I have a site with 2 domain controllers(Windows 2008 R2), and if I shut down my second domain controller, when I try to open the Group Policy Management  Console on the 1st domain controller, it fails to open and I get the following error, "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" with 3 options to "retry", "choose another domain controller", or remove.   If I go to chose another domain controller and select the 1st domain controller it still fails.  Unless the 2nd DC is turned on, I have no issues opening the GP management console. Not sure, why this is happening, I've done it in the pass without issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• You might be shutting down your PDCE or DNS entries on DC #2 might be screwed up. You could find all that out by running dcdiag.

born to learn!

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, February 27, 2015 11:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5Moderator Monday, March 09, 2015 3:07 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:42 PM
  • FSMO Roles do not switch by themselves, if your PDC fails and cannot come back up you would have to "force" another server to assume the role.  Someone would have moved it previously.

In either case, this is not a "problem" as such.

Friday, February 27, 2015 4:21 PM

All replies

• You might be shutting down your PDCE or DNS entries on DC #2 might be screwed up. You could find all that out by running dcdiag.

born to learn!

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, February 27, 2015 11:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5Moderator Monday, March 09, 2015 3:07 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Well it seems that some how the PDC emulator is set to be the 2nd DC instead of the 1st DC on the 1st DC which explains why the failure after the 2nd DC went down. Why or should I say how could the PDC get switched from the primary DC without human intervention. Does the PDC automatically switch for any reason?
    Friday, February 27, 2015 3:08 PM
  • FSMO Roles do not switch by themselves, if your PDC fails and cannot come back up you would have to "force" another server to assume the role.  Someone would have moved it previously.

In either case, this is not a "problem" as such.

Friday, February 27, 2015 4:21 PM