none
Enterprise Resource Availability for Specific Project RRS feed

• Question

• My company uses Microsoft Project Professional 2013 with Microsoft Project Server 2013 and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013. Our resources are managed through a shared Enterprise Resource Pool. If a team member is on vacation, their availability will be modified so that project managers cannot schedule them for tasks while they are on vacation. If they are unavailable for work reasons, however (business travel, training, or a workshop, etc.), that time will be added to a departmental schedule. If I try to schedule tasks during this time, I will see that the team member is over-allocated, but Project will still allow me to schedule their time during this event. I would like to modify project team members' availability for this project only, while still recognizing availability per their Enterprise calendars. This way, if I am told that a certain team member is not available to my project a certain week, I can change their availability and auto-scheduled tasks will work around this. Otherwise, I need to manually move tasks around to avoid over-allocation.

If anyone is able to tell me if it is possible to adjust an Enterprise resource's availability for a certain project (and if so, how), I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:44 PM

Answers

• Drichard85 --

I have some bad news for you, my friend.  You CANNOT change the availability for an enterprise resource at the project level.  The only thing you can do is to temporarily change the availability for an enterprise resource while you are assigning resources or leveling overallocations.  However, after you save and close the project, the next time you open it, the availability will revert back to how the application administrator set it for the enterprise resource in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DRichard85 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:16 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 8:37 PM

All replies

• Drichard85 --

I have some bad news for you, my friend.  You CANNOT change the availability for an enterprise resource at the project level.  The only thing you can do is to temporarily change the availability for an enterprise resource while you are assigning resources or leveling overallocations.  However, after you save and close the project, the next time you open it, the availability will revert back to how the application administrator set it for the enterprise resource in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DRichard85 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:16 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 8:37 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, Dale. That is unfortunate, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Actually there is something you can do to manage this.   If you use the ADMINISTRATOR VACATIONS, and set up the process of approving vacation time, this will mark the resource unavailable during the vacation period.

Wharton

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:47 PM