none
Migrate-SPProjectDatabase is not working

Question

• I'm trying to upgrade our Project Server 2010 server to 2016. First I upgraded it to Project Server 2013. Then mounted content database on 2016 successfully. But when I run Migrate-SPProjectDatabase command, I'm getting  following errors. Any help appreciated. 

09/17/2017 14:05:26.62 powershell (0x7F68) 0x6BCC SharePoint Foundation Upgrade PSDatabaseSequence ajywk ERROR Action 16.1.93.0 of Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Upgrade.PSDatabaseSequence failed. 511a1a9e-a286-f09c-4462-200c695aeeea
    09/17/2017 14:05:26.62 powershell (0x7F68) 0x6BCC SharePoint Foundation Upgrade PSDatabaseSequence ajywk ERROR Exception: Invalid object name 'SYS.VIEWS'. 511a1a9e-a286-f09c-4462-200c695aeeea
    09/17/2017 14:05:26.62 powershell (0x7F68) 0x6BCC SharePoint Foundation Upgrade PSDatabaseSequence ajywk ERROR    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)     at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)     at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Data.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior, SqlQueryData monitoringData, Boolean retryForDeadLock)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Data.SqlSession.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.SqlSessionManager.TransactionalSqlSessionAdapter.SqlSessionInterfaceImpl.ExecuteReader(SqlCommand command)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.Telemetry.ExecuteScriptWithTelemetry(ISqlSession sqlSession, String commandText, SPLog log, Boolean areWarningsErrors)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Upgrade.ProjectDatabaseUpgrader.ExecuteUpgraderSqlScript(String sql)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPActionSequence.Upgrade() 511a1a9e-a286-f09c-4462-200c695aeeea

Sunday, September 17, 2017 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hello Adem,

Overview of the Project Server 2016 upgrade process

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662496(v=office.16).aspx

Upgrading to Project Server 2016

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662104(v=office.16).aspx

Project Server 2016 upgrade steps

Upgrading to Project Server 2016 can be broken up into six steps. These include:

1. Create a Project Server 2016 farm – I believe your farm is stable.
    2. Copy and move your databases – Restore both the content and project database from project server 2013
    3. Attach and upgrade your SharePoint 2013 content database – Use the Mount-SPContentdatabase command from the above article to attach and it should be successful.
    4. Test your SharePoint Content database – Make sure the Test-SPContentDatabase command is ran to see if there is any migration blocks.
    5. Attach and upgrade your Project Server 2013 databases – When you run the Migrate-SPProjectDatabase command, make sure that the system has enough memory in the SQL server and if you have any custom views created in the project database then it might cause some issues.
    6. Disable database quota limits for your PWA site – Its pretty straight forward command to set the Quota.
    7. Migrate your Project Server 2013 resource plans (optional)

Let us know the error which you receive when you run the Migrate-SPProjectDatabase command.

Note: As the existing migrated Content database attached in step 3 would have the tables half migrated. I would recommend performing a fresh migration.

Cheers!!! Happy Troubleshooting!!!

Shiva Prasad B C, MCP, MCSA

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Hello ShivaPrasad,

I've completed 4 steps succesfully. When I use Migrate-SPProjectDatabase command I'm getting error "Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Upgrade.PSDatabaseSequence failed." 

I've checked ULS logs and mentioned in my original post.

By the way I've also tried to migrate 2013 ProjectWebApp db to empty 2016 PWA instance with overwrite parameter. Unfortunately result is same.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:28 PM
  • Did you get any errors when migrating PS2010 to PS2013.  Did you test and verify that PS2013 came up and was working properly before moving forward to PS2016?

Please provide power-shell command with parameters for step 3, 4 and 5 used in migration

Did you get any issue with the test-spcontentdatabase?  And did it complete?

Also, when an attempt fails, you must restore 2013 databases in step two and start again.   

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:51 AM
  • I've got no errors on migration 2010 to 2013. I verified 2013 version and it's working perfectly. After migration 2010 to 2013, I've updated 2013 to 2017 September CU.

Mount-SPContentDatabase -Name WSS_PWA -WebApplication "SharePoint - 80"

Test-SPContentDatabase -Name WSS_PWA -WebApplication "SharePoint - 80"

When testing content db gave me error ;

Category: MissingWebPart
    Error: True
    UpgradeBlocking : False

Since test is completed and upgradeblocking is false I think I can go through.

Then I used following :
    Migrate-SPProjectDatabase -DatabaseName ProjectWebApp -SiteCollection "http://prjsrv03/PWA"

But migration is failed with errors above. Then I created an empty site collection to test if there is a problem with my content db and tried this:

Migrate-SPProjectDatabase -DatabaseName ProjectWebApp -SiteCollection "http://prjsrv03/sites/PWA" -Overwrite

I've got same errors : 

09/17/2017 14:05:26.62 powershell (0x7F68) 0x6BCC SharePoint Foundation Upgrade PSDatabaseSequence ajywk ERROR Action 16.1.93.0 of Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Upgrade.PSDatabaseSequence failed. 511a1a9e-a286-f09c-4462-200c695aeeea
    09/17/2017 14:05:26.62 powershell (0x7F68) 0x6BCC SharePoint Foundation Upgrade PSDatabaseSequence ajywk ERROR Exception: Invalid object name 'SYS.VIEWS'. 511a1a9e-a286-f09c-4462-200c695aeeea

Monday, September 25, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Where you able to get the migration issue resolved? Thank you
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:07 PM
  • One suggestion is to build a PWA site on Project Server 2016 and verify that an Out-of-box project server can be stood up.

Also, backup the SQL databases after each step of the process.  The reason for this, is that if a PowerShell step fails, then the database may be partially modified and thus, restoring the database prior to the state may be required to get you back on track.

Normally, there are four or more errors from the Test-SPContentDatabase command.  Did you check that all the errors said not blocking.

When upgrading Project Server 2010, was SP2 applied project server and SharePoint  farm.   This is a requirement and can have weird results if not done.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:12 AM