XP Home, Media Center and Vista on same PC RRS feed

• Question

• I am in a training environment where most classes  are using XP Home. We have a need to also use XP Media Center and also Vista Home Premium and have the students select which OS version to boot up.  Is it possible for Home and Media Center to exist as separate boots and if so how to do it?
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:45 AM

All replies

• hi there ron,

greetings..

yeah the thing you are saying is very much possible.. well you got to follow somethings..

a> have you installed home and media center yet..

b> as you must be knowing that home and media center can work in dual boot very easily as Winxp has a very simple boot.ini logic..

now your main problem is installing Vista after these two.. or if not then installing the two other OS after vista. you can do it with these steps :

1>

Conditions: you have installed Vista and now you want Xp in the second boot with media center and when you do so , your Vista isnt detected anymore, so now you either format your Drives and install again, or you repair Vista and thats ok,

But you can run both in Dual boot without formatting,

As vista is installed, you install Windows Xp in X:> and media center in drive y:> (X & Y is the drive of your Choice) (may be D: , E: etc)

now your comp. restarts in XP without showing Vista, dont worry just restart your COmp. and boot from VIsta CD/DVD whatever you have, repair your installation and now your VISTA boots up, without Showing Xp, but nothing to worry,

Just Place your Vista DVD/CD int he drive in VISTA and now go to start menu, all programs , accessories , right click on command prompt

and click on run as administrator

now type these commands :

Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt:
    Drive:\boot\ Bootsect.exe –NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.
    Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d “Description for earlier Windows version”

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP” or “Windows Server 2003." Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
    Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldrDrive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

Restart the computer.

and you are done...

now the second case is that you have XP and MEDIA CENTER installed and want Vista over it,, so now just install VISTA and follow these steps :

Just Place your Vista DVD/CD int he drive in VISTA and now go to start menu, all programs , accessories , right click on command prompt

and click on run as administrator

now type these commands :

Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt:
    Drive:\boot\ Bootsect.exe –NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.
    Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d “Description for earlier Windows version”

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP” or “Windows Server 2003." Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
    Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldrDrive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

Restart the computer.

and you are done...

for any info or confusion do write back...

shantanu

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Thanks Shantanu,

Media Center is installed (it came on this PC) and I created another partition for Vista. The media center partition is large enough for MC and Home - should I partition it so that each OS is on a separate partition?

When I attempted to install Home, the message was that a newer OS was already installed - so I was stymied from the beginning.  How can I actually install Home as a 2nd OS? My experience with dual boots goes back to NT and was a long time ago, so the process to follow is new to me.

Thanks for all the notes about installing Vista as they will become valuable when I get to that point. After I have all versions installed, then I will be installing Faronics' Deep Freeze 6.3 as that version also supports Vista. We use Deep Freeze to great advantage in a learning environment.

Thanks,

Ron

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:12 PM
  • hi ! its my pleasure helping you..

well you have a way other then installing XP gome by directly running setup from MC.. try booting from home edition cd and then install home edition in a different partition...

well yes you should partition the disc properly so that all os can share good spaces...

so just try booting from home edition cd...

try that... it will work as both os will install simultaneously.. the error came coz MC is newer then home edition and MC detects as an upgrade so the error message.. dont worry about that.. just try booting..

shantanu

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:34 PM