none
Block CD & DVD

Question

• Hi All,

I have Windows Server 2012 R2 with functional level 2003 , and all clients are on windows 8.1 now i want to disable CD rom through USB so i just create a group policy and do following in group policy.

User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System \ Removable Storage Access \ CD and DVD : Deny read access

User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System \ Removable Storage Access \ CD and DVD : Deny write  access

but unfortunately its not working any suggestions

for reference screen shot of group policy attached

Monday, February 15, 2016 7:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Osama,

I found an error as below in the gpresult you provided above after reviewing the case.

To make sure the problem is caused by Version mismatch, I suggest you post the gpresult on Windows 7.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Osama,

I suggest you run gpresult /h <file path> and post it to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 15, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Thanks for your reply , i am unable to find to attach html based report so i just take screen shot and attached here.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Hi Osama,

I notice that the GPO has applied successfully.

but unfortunately its not working any suggestions

>>>Would you tell us how do you test it?

To test, you could logon computer with a user which is member of OU that GPO linked. And make sure the user without the deny apply group policy ACL.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:51 AM
  • yes i just logon on same user where this policy has to be applied and i use windows 8.1 but i tested that it works on windows 7
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Hi Osama,

To clarify, it works on Windows 7, but not on Windows 8, right?

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:05 AM
  • Dear Jay Gu,

yes it works fine on windows 7

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hi Osama,

I found an error as below in the gpresult you provided above after reviewing the case.

To make sure the problem is caused by Version mismatch, I suggest you post the gpresult on Windows 7.

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:23 AM
  • Hi Osama,

Are there updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:59 AM