locked
Connect to Hyper-V Server 2012 from Win8.1 RPC Error? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have installed Windows Hyper-V Server 2012 on my server and I am running Windows 8.1 on my client computer. Both are in the workgroup WORKGROUP and not part of a domain. I am trying to set up VM's on the server. I have set up a user account on my client computer and added that to the server as an administrator account.

    When I open HyperV Manager on my client computer and try to connect to my HyperV server I get the error message 'An error occurred while attempting to connect to server "HyperV". Check that the virtual machine management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server. Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer 'HyperV'. Make sure your HyperV service is running.'

    On the server Remote Management is enabled and Remote Desktop is enabled.

    Any ideas what else I need to do to connect to the server in Hyper-V Manager and start adding virtual machines?

    Thanks for any help!

    Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:24 AM

Answers

  • Hi

    Are all the hyper-v services started as well?


    Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    • Marked as answer by Evenger Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:13 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:49 AM

All replies

  • Hi

    Are all the hyper-v services started as well?


    Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    • Marked as answer by Evenger Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:13 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:49 AM
  • The problem was the IP address had changed and was different in the hosts file on my computer. I have now set a static IP address and changed the hosts file to match. Also our local AV firewall was stopping the server seeing the client, I have now disabled this. I was looking for a more complicated problem, but in the end it was a couple of simple problems which I should have checked already.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:13 AM