IE "Cannot Display Webpage Error" when Creating web application RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a web application in central administration in my SP 2007 farm, it spins for a bit, and then ends on an "IE cannot display web page" error screen. I then navigate to Central Administration, and look to see if my web app has been created. It's there. I can configure and everything without issue, so I figure everything is good, so I then go to create a site collection. The site collection creation is successful, or so it seems. When I click on the link in Central Administration, it also takes me to a "IE cannot display webpage" error screen.

I thought this might have to do with my Alternate Access Mappings, but those appear to be setup correctly. I am not new to SharePoint, but I am new to SharePoint administration. I have always been more of a designer/developer. Any help that someone could give me would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Erich O'Donnell
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the authentication mode you are using? I too have faced this issue in past and when I switched to NTLM this got resolved.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

We are using NTLM authentication. Thanks!

Erich O'Donnell
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Go to IIS and check if the app pool settings are configured properly or not.

Also can you access system pages like _layouts/viewlsts of the site collection?

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Are you creating a Web application with a Host Header ? If yes, can you keep that section empty and then create Webapp .

Let us know what happens.

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:11 AM
  • @Rahul - Now that you mention IIS I'm thinking it might be an issue. What are some things that I should be looking for in IIS to ensure that everything is setup correctly?

@Zosh - I wish it was that easy. This web app was created with the host header empty.

Erich O'Donnell
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Do you have a site collection with "/" created under desired web-app?

Also are you getting any authentication pop-up while accessing site?

Are you accessing the site from the server or from a machine that is connected to a domain? If you are accessing the site from a doman computer then you need to either use a host header for your web-app or should have an entry in host file for your web-application.

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Your DNS settings are setup correctly right?  You need to make sure there is an A record recorded in the DNS server that points you to the site. Otherwise your browser won't know where to go.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:38 PM