locked
Issue with .Net assembly crashing Web Services application pool RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello

    I met some random issues with an Exchange 2010 server housed on Windows 2008 R2.

    Randomly Exchange 2010 Web Services application pool are crashing.

    Using DebugDiag + WinDbg I managed to pinpoint the "crashing" .Net assembly that is failing by analyzing the dump created when MSExchangeECPAppPool is crashing.

    The tool showed that assembly System.DirectoryServices.Protocols was failing on that server.

    On the other Exchange 2010 server I have no issue at all: web services never fail.

    I discovered that assembly versions were different on servers:

    • The working server has version 2.0.50727.8745 of that assembly,
    • the faulty server has version 2.0.50727.5492 of that assembly.

    Here is my question:

    How can I "put/copy/recompile" the working assembly from the "working" server to the "faulty" server?
    (just to try if that can solve my issue).

    Thanks!

    Florent


    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:31 PM

Answers

  • What service pack and update rollup are you running?  If you're not there, I'd recommend you upgrade to SP3 UR14 before pursuing this further.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Marked as answer by Florent Duret Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:33 PM

All replies

  • What service pack and update rollup are you running?  If you're not there, I'd recommend you upgrade to SP3 UR14 before pursuing this further.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    • Marked as answer by Florent Duret Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

    Please refer to the following blogs for best practices of .NET assembly versioning:

    Best Practices for .NET Assembly Versioning: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jjameson/2009/04/03/best-practices-for-net-assembly-versioning/

    Assembly Versioning: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/51ket42z(v=vs.110).aspx

    Hope it helps.


    Best Regards,

    Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support


    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:12 AM
  • Hello

    The crashing server is running Exchange 2010 SP3 UR13.
    I immediately plan an update to UR14 to see if things get better.

    If this fails solving the issue with that server I am going to plan for a more 'extreme' solution and might try to prepare a brand new server to replace the faulty one.

    Florent

    Update: as I am busy trying to solve an issue with a production SQL Server this night, I take the opportunity to update the Exchange server.
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Please keep updating. Thanks.

    Best Regards,

    Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support


    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.


    • Edited by Jason.Chao Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:44 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hello

    One month later we did not meet the issue again.

    But:

    • Our load balancer is sending 99% of the trafic to MAILPRD, not MAILDRS that met the issue,
    • The custom business-application that interrogates EWS was highly modified during the next weeks,
    • Even SCOM 2012 that performed many check using Exchange Management Pack was deactivated too,
    • MAILDRS was patched using latest UR14.

    This might seem a bit early but it seems the issue was solved.

    Florent

    Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:39 AM