none
Use of Stored Procedure

Question

• I have to use a Stored Procedure that returns a table in Power Query, but in the object list of the selected SQL database I see only tables, views and functions. How can I do?

Thank's

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Patapatty,

Invocation of stored procedures is not supported at this point. Only tables, views and functions can be accessed from Power Query "From SQL DB" in the navigator.

We're currently working on a new feature to enable users to send T-SQL commands to the database, which should enable the execution of the stored procedure.

This should be available in one of our next updates, within the next few weeks. Please stay tuned to our blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/powerbi) for an update on when this feature will become available.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:26 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Patapatty,

Invocation of stored procedures is not supported at this point. Only tables, views and functions can be accessed from Power Query "From SQL DB" in the navigator.

We're currently working on a new feature to enable users to send T-SQL commands to the database, which should enable the execution of the stored procedure.

This should be available in one of our next updates, within the next few weeks. Please stay tuned to our blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/powerbi) for an update on when this feature will become available.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:26 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks a lot.

Patrizia

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Bump, has this feature made it out to the product yet?

Lane

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Any update to this?  I still don't see the ability to use Stored Procedures...is there an alternative?

Thanks!

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:10 PM
  • You can use the "Native Database Query" feature to invoke a stored procedure, i.e. rather than going through the Navigator dialog, provide the Server, DB and Statement to execute in the Source dialog.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:28 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, Where is the "Native Database Query" feature ... I am trying to use "Direct Query" to create a power bi report.

Thanks

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:00 PM
  • When you make a database connection, there's an "Advanced" widget. Clicking on that opens up an area where you can type a SQL query.

I'm not sure that Direct Query will work on top of a stored procedure call, if that's what you're trying to do.

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:51 PM
    Owner