Process to uninstall vista RC1? - files to edit to back out boot screen? RRS feed

• Question

• I gave it my best effort - download, DVD...

When installing, my system crashes bad... I have a Soltek system with a Athlon 3200, GeForce 5200, 2 250 GB Hard Drives...

I did install RC1 on it's own partition, but found that the built in diagnostics found memory problems and hard disk problems - gave warnings that sounded very grave and frightening... but XP doesn't find these problems... I tried a couple free download diagnostics and all I found was my AGP memory was set a little too high...

But now the problem is... I want to bail on Vista - that is not a good sign for an RC1 release... but I can't figure out how to remove the boot files.

Hints? FAQ?

I'd live with them... but they cause me to reboot 3 or 4 times to get my selection of "Previous Operating System" to take... even then, many times, it falls into the Vista "safe mode" selections, rather than the XP "safe mode" selections.

I'm all for testing a beta or Release Candidate... but I've spent hours and hours just rebooting my computer.

Do I have to format the boot drives and reinstall XP fresh?

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:42 AM

Answers

• I am sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with Windows Vista RC1.  To remove the Boot Manager loader from your primary partition, use the BootSect.exe utility found in the Boot folder of the Vista DVD
    Use option /nt52 to restore the ntldr loader
    Use option /nt60 to restore the BootManager loader
    Editing the menu options in the Boot Manager when starting your computer is no longer available through the file boot.ini
    You have to use the BcdEdit.exe tool to acomplish this task

Another tool out there is by pronetworks called the vista boot manager, Im not sure if this is able to remove the vista boot loader or not.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:22 PM

All replies

• I am sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with Windows Vista RC1.  To remove the Boot Manager loader from your primary partition, use the BootSect.exe utility found in the Boot folder of the Vista DVD
    Use option /nt52 to restore the ntldr loader
    Use option /nt60 to restore the BootManager loader
    Editing the menu options in the Boot Manager when starting your computer is no longer available through the file boot.ini
    You have to use the BcdEdit.exe tool to acomplish this task

Another tool out there is by pronetworks called the vista boot manager, Im not sure if this is able to remove the vista boot loader or not.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:22 PM
  • Thank you...

bootsect /nt52 c:

worked...

I was pretty bummed that Vista didn't work - I really like the UI and am anxious to learn all the 'under the hood'. Unfortunately, I don't have a plane jane system so glitches are expected.

Where can I send a sysinfo file and report?

Thanks,

John

Thursday, September 14, 2006 2:54 AM
  • hi,

I have the same problem,
    but there is no file bootsect in this folder.....

is it possible to restore it manually?

regards,
    arni
    Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:16 PM
  • Before I install this, I want to make sure it will reset the mbr OK.  I bought my computer with xp preloaded so I dont have any recovery disc to do "fixmbr" or what ever.  So is there a mbr fixer found on the rc1 cd? Just in case Vista doesnt work out ok, I want to be able to remove the boot loader from my xp start up (I am planning a dual boot).
    Friday, October 6, 2006 3:58 AM
  • I cannot report any problems with this utility, and found the process quite logical and straight forward.

I would recommend, however, creating a disk image, bootable from CD, so that you can recover your hard drive to OEM state. You'll need an external storage device (CD, DVD, USB or network drive) to store your target image to.

There are several products available - ghost, power quest, there's freeware DriveXML which can be used with BartPE's CD Bootloader.

Good Luck.

Thursday, November 9, 2006 3:57 PM
  • I have the same problem. I

Am I supposed to be in revoery console when I run the command

I copied the bootsect file under the c:\windows\boot dir

Then i booted to recovery console in win2003

I went to that dir

it says that bootsect is not a valid command for win 2003

What am I supposed to boot to when I run bootsect.

My vista disk is not booting on this system for some reason!

Monday, November 20, 2006 7:57 AM
  • Has anybody tried EasyBCD ?
    EasyBCD is a tool for tweaking Windows Vista bootloader.
    Its an easy way of doing BCDedit , gui for BCDedit.
    And its free tool available from  http://neosmart.net/

After dual booting with XP , somebody wants to remove Vista (as Betas and RCs will expire) and recover XP to boot then also this tool can help.Go to “Manage Bootloader” and select “Uninstall the Vista Bootloader” then “Write MBR”. Then Reboot , now XP is loaded and the partition containing Vista can safely be deleted.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 6:23 PM
  • Thx Vasudev.

EasyBCD was very helpfull for me and within a few minutes I could reboot and ONLY my good old XP was starting up!!!!!

Vista was removed from the dualboot manager and I could use the diskpartition again!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 2:31 PM
  • You are welcom Guillermo. Yes, it provides a very easy method.  

Now that all pre-release versions of Vista are going to expire on May31, its time to boot with your XP , if it was in dual boot mode and time to get the Vista RTM.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Hi there,

I need to uninstall the Vista Beta as well. but the problem is I cannot find the bootsect.exe in the boot folder in my CD. Could you please forward me a copy of the file if you have it?

Thanking you in advance.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:16 AM
  • Are you having only Vista Beta installed, if yes then you can just format, Else if you are having XP or any other OS dual boot, use EasyBCD as described in my above post , using it you can uninstall Vista very easily and getting back the other OS, say (XP) to boot.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:47 PM
  • I couldn't log in cause my CD key had expired. I used the repair tool in the Vista CD to execute bootsect.exe as described in Microsft article: 933168

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933168

The bootsect ran, but when I restarted the machine, I can see the Windows XP logo during startup and then the screen goes black and says that it has encountered fatal error and that it has to shut down.

How do I get back the XP in this case?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Deepak.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:05 AM