none
Ost is not an outlook data file (.ost) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

one user have a trouble. The issues was "cannot connect to Exchange server"  primary account in outlook. Other two account are successfully connected.

So I try to remove old outlook profile, and re create it. I use auto config the connection was success.

But when I try start outlook I receive warning (outlook not start):

I try to clear any outlook registry key, repeater office software, even recreate user profile. I got the same error.

Ost file created, but it size 0 kb.

However:

If I connect two other boxes (not the main ones), I do not observe a problem.

Other user in same computer have no problems with it.

Friday, October 18, 2019 11:22 AM

All replies

• did  you  try to create a new  outlook profile ? if  yes open outlook  with  fake account , once is done

try  outlook  autodiscover test  using  the user email  address and  his  password :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_other-mso_o365b/mailboxes-test-e-mail-autoconfiguration/19f9c90a-4640-46c4-a574-dbec29bdb8ba?auth=1

MCP - MCTS - MCSA - MCITP

Saturday, October 19, 2019 6:16 PM
  • did  you  try to create a new  outlook profile ? if  yes open outlook  with  fake account , once is done

try  outlook  autodiscover test  using  the user email  address and  his  password :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_other-mso_o365b/mailboxes-test-e-mail-autoconfiguration/19f9c90a-4640-46c4-a574-dbec29bdb8ba?auth=1

Yes, new profile not fix this issue even on other PC.

Autodiscover works fine, profile automatically set up, there no problem with it. The problem when outlook open and try create ost file.

Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:28 PM
  • i would  suggest  to  rapair  the mailbiox first :

New-MailboxRepairRequest -Mailbox tony@contoso.com -CorruptionType FolderView

then if doesn't help to  move the user mailbox to  another database :

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/moving-exchange-server-2013-mailboxes/

• Edited by hammadi74 Sunday, October 20, 2019 5:58 PM add some update
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 5:43 PM
  • Hi Denis,

How is everything going on with this issue after repairing mailbox and moving to another database?

>>Yes, new profile not fix this issue even on other PC.

Do you mean issue still errors when this user log on another Outlook client?

If this problematic user logs on another computer, will same issue occur?

I'd like to recommend you test this issue in a new windows profile to see the results.

If issue only occurs to this specific mailbox, the easiest way would recreate the mailbox.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:07 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi Denis,

How is everything going on with this issue? Have you found a fix?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:31 AM
  • Hi Denis,

How is everything going on with this issue? Have you found a fix?

Regards,

Perry

I am sorry, I can not contact with user for check this solution.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:21 PM

• I am sorry, I can not contact with user for check this solution.

That's OK. If there are any updates, you can feel free to post back.

If the reply helps, it's recommended to mark it as answer to close off this thread. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Friday, October 25, 2019 4:44 AM
  • I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

User cannot open Outlook client and get following error:

[(Possible) Cause:]

====================

Autodiscover was not configured correctly

[Troubleshooting Steps so far:]

====================

1) Test OWA connection

2) Check Autodiscover

3) Test in a new profile

4) Test in a new windows profile

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, November 8, 2019 9:36 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 9:36 AM
  • I would recommend GainTools Unlimited OST to PST Converter Software for all users that would like to convert OST and PST email messages into MS Outlook PST format. This tool offer you complete migration consequence in less time period with full correctness. It works with latest algorithms and simple GUI features of the app makes general procedure of OST to PST Migration very easy. Users can save switched data moreover in new or already existing PST files.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:35 AM
  • Hi, if your OST file is inaccessible then you can Convert OST to PST format. After performing the conversion the user can easily import the PST file in Outlook application. For complete information the user can try the demo version of this software
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:30 PM