When Editing Item, Fields return to blank. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

When I edit an item, there are currency fields that have data in them before editing, and when I hit edit, all those currency fields return to blank.

How can I have it so those currency fields remain the same with the data in them until I edit that specific field in the Edit Form.

Just to give you a visual there is a currency field for 12 months.

So the Column January might have $3500.

Then I would like to edit that row and all the other fields remain with the same data as before, but all the currency ones like January are blank. So even If I didn't want to edit the January column, the $3500 has to be rentered each time I want to edit a different part of the row.

Is there anyway to make the data in those currency fields remain the same until edited..?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:24 PM

Answers

• Ah yes I figured this Out... I am an idiot at this point....

What I did was Rearranged my NewForm very extensively and All I did was copy the layout to my Edit form....

Which kept the ControlMode for each formfield to "New" When it should be "Edit".....

Case CLosed.

Brandon

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

A possible cause could be that for the column, you have selected an option to append.

So in that case, whenever you edit the column, default behavior is blank column.

In case if it is the case, please change the column settings not to append values.

Hope this helps,

Regards | Rohan Chittyal | Sharepoint Technologies | http://sharepoint-administration-eu.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Hi Brandon,

Based on your description, I tried to reproduce this issue, however everything works fine.

You can try to create a new list and add a currency column to test again, if the issue doesn’t occur, it seems that the original list has been broken. Otherwise, you can save the list to template, then create a new list based on the template to test.

If it isn’t the issue, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Qiao Wei

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Thanks for the Replies, I also made a new list and it worked just like you said. But for some reason in my other list it doesn't want to stay with the same #'s. How do I make sure that the columns are not appending?

Brandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:22 PM
  • As far as I know, Appending will come in to picuture for Multiple lines of text Columns.

Coming to the issue, Is there any client side script written to blank those values in Edit Form?

-

Rao

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:15 PM
  • None that I know of... I didn't change anything other than the layout in my Custom New Form..

Brandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hello

This might add to maybe why it is happening.

I created a Custom EditForm. I am pretty sure there is a setting for keeping current data in it. I tested this because I kept the current edit form visible and it retains the data, but my custom form above it does not? Any Reasoning

Brandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Did you chaged the default web part ?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I did not mess with the original webpart, all I did was hide it..

Brandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Anyone have any thoughts on this..

My Problem is since I created a Custom EditForm, my currency fields do not retain their data if a person goes an chooses to edit a list item. This only happens in the Custom EditForm because I have tried it in a regular orignal editform and it retains its data.

Any help would be appreciated.

BRandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Can you delete the existing custom list form and recreate the same in the edit form.

-

Rao

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Rao

So I deleted the Custom EditForm, and the data is retained in those fields in the original Form.

Then I recreated the Custom EditForm From Scratch moving rows and tables around to my liking and none of the fields that I moved around retained their data. Weird. Any other ideas

brandon

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Ah yes I figured this Out... I am an idiot at this point....

What I did was Rearranged my NewForm very extensively and All I did was copy the layout to my Edit form....

Which kept the ControlMode for each formfield to "New" When it should be "Edit".....

Case CLosed.

Brandon

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:38 PM