none
Restoring Exchange 2007 mailbox to Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not really sure if this is a DPM question or an Exchange one, but we're doing the backups and restores through the DPM interface so I thought I'd start here.

We're currently running DPM 2010 and Exchange 2010. We upgraded from DPM 2007 about 2 months ago, and migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010 a few weeks back. I'm not looking at some test restores of mailboxes from backups taken when we were running the 2007 versions of both products.

From what I've been reading today, I'm not 100% sure that this can be done. Exchange 2007 databases are structurally different to 2010 databases, so I don't think that I can restore a DPM backup of a 2007 database into a 2010 RDB, and 2010 doesn't know what an RSG is or how to talk to one.

At the moment, the only path I can see is running up an Exchange 2007 server just to host the RSG, recovering the items I need to a new mailbox in a new storage group in Ex2007, then setting up a Local Move in Ex2010 to pull that mailbox across and finally manually copying the objects I need into the actual users mailbox. That seems like it should work, but keeping a spare Ex2007 box around just so that I could do restores seemed so redundant that I wanted to ask you guys if I wasn't missing something.

Is there a less convoluted way here? Can DPM 2010 dump the exchange database in to the RDB in a format that Ex2010 will understand?

Cheers,

Ryan

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:24 AM

Answers

• Hey,

I can't answer the Exchange questions, but I can confirm that DPM 2010 can't restore a 2007 exchange database to a 2010 exchange database, nor can it convert it to another format.  What you can do is recover the database(s) to an anlternative location (disk) and then ask the exchange experts if they know a solution

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:39 PM