May i have to update user profiles? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Sharepoint 2007 site connected to an AD. The other day i found that there is a user with wrong information about his name in sharepoint, but if i check this user in the AD the information is ok. So, what can i do with this? To do an incremental profile import or a total import? i don't know how affect these two ways of import about current permissions of this user in sharepoint, so i tell yo what is the best way to update the user information.

Thank you in advanced

Matt
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:15 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, that does an automatic redirect to the profile if one exists.  Otherwise it shows the UserInfo Table.  So depending on whether you have done a profile import or not it could show either.  is there a profile for that user if you look for it in the User Profile Service App in Central Admin?
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, December 9, 2011 12:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:23 PM

All replies

• By wrong name I assume you are refering to the name as it appears in the Welcome menu, not in the user profile. The problem is that the Display name for the user comes from user Information table and not from the user profile.  There is a timer job that normally processes changes made to the user profiles and applys them to the user informaiton table.  But this only happens for ACTIVE users.  If a user gets there permission to a particular site based on membership in an AD group and has never contributed to that site then they are an inactive user and the timer job will ignore any changes made in their user profile.  Doing a profile import won't fix this problem.  make sure the use has changed an item or uploaded a file to the site collection where the name is showing in error.  Then make sure the user's name is updated in their Profile and wait an hour or two.  The welcome menu should be updated after that time period.
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:17 PM
  • The name i refer is displayed in url /_layouts/userdisp.aspx
    Matt
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Unfortunately, that does an automatic redirect to the profile if one exists.  Otherwise it shows the UserInfo Table.  So depending on whether you have done a profile import or not it could show either.  is there a profile for that user if you look for it in the User Profile Service App in Central Admin?
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, December 9, 2011 12:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:23 PM