windows 7 restarts durring inactive periods (screen saver) RRS feed

• General discussion

• got windows 7 installed with no issues, and it seems to be running well.. i am however, noticing that when windows goes to the screensaver, and sits for 15 mins or so, the computer reboots itself, it comes back up to "windows has recovered from a serious error".  i have tried disabeling the screen saver and letting the monitor go into sleep mode but it seems to do the same thing. but if im am sitting and using the system and surfing the net or running and app it runs fine and does not reboot.. has anyone else seen this happening?

ritetech

AMD Athalon 64 3200+
    1.5 gig ram
    ATI RADION X800 PCIe 256meg video
    2 standard IDE HDD's
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:04 AM

All replies

• Happens on my Dell Vostro 1400 as well.........
    oddly, it usually only happens once in a day......
    any ideas appreciated .......

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:18 PM
  • similar problem, computer sometimes doesn't wakeup from sleep properly, does a full restart and gives error message "windows has recovered from a serious error".  checking the event viewer there are error messages saying "previous system shutdown was unexpected".
    my system:
    amd athlon 2400+
    nforce2 motherboard
    1 gig ram
    ATI X800GTO AGP card
    2 sata HDD's

my gut feeling is that it's graphics driver related.  Initially i used the windows 7 installed driver ver9.5 and the computer wouldn't sleep at all.  Then I started using older ver catalyst9.3.  I thought it fixed everything, but then i started seeing these intermittent boot from sleep problems.  Maybe I'll try an even older version of catalyst next...
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:07 PM