Publishing Exchange 2016 Outlook Anywhere (Mapi?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

I am currently transitioning from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. We use TMG 2010 for publishing all Exchange services (will be replaced by the end of this year) and I successfully published OWA, Activesync, ECP etc., however I find myself struggling with Outlook Anywhere.

When I publish the /Rpc directory on the Exchange 2016 server, I can see that connections are being proxied over to the 2010 server, even for mailboxes stored on the 2016 server. When the computer running outlook is outside the corporate network, those connections fail. When internal, they succeed.

When I publish the /Mapi directory, it always fail.

Has anyone done this before and can give me some pointers or hints?

Monday, February 11, 2019 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue that Outlook connection is proxied to Exchange 2010 could be caused by the cached information in application pool. You can try to restart the Autodiscover App Pool and see if it helps. Besides, please make sure the Autodiscover DNS record is pointed to Exchange 2016 server.

Restart-WebAppPool MSExchangeAutodiscoverAppPool

Furthermore, please also check the if the Outlook Anywhere and Mapi virtual directories are configured properly in Exchange 2016.

Get-OutlookAnywhere -Identity "<servername>\Rpc (Default Web Site)" |fl
    Get-MapiVirtualDirectory -Identity "<servername>\Mapi (Default Web Site)" |fl

To publish Exchange server using TMG, please refer to the following blog for some tips. It is also applicable for Exchange 2016.

Publishing Exchange Server 2013 using TMG

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by RRozanski Friday, February 22, 2019 1:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue that Outlook connection is proxied to Exchange 2010 could be caused by the cached information in application pool. You can try to restart the Autodiscover App Pool and see if it helps. Besides, please make sure the Autodiscover DNS record is pointed to Exchange 2016 server.

Restart-WebAppPool MSExchangeAutodiscoverAppPool

Furthermore, please also check the if the Outlook Anywhere and Mapi virtual directories are configured properly in Exchange 2016.

Get-OutlookAnywhere -Identity "<servername>\Rpc (Default Web Site)" |fl
    Get-MapiVirtualDirectory -Identity "<servername>\Mapi (Default Web Site)" |fl

To publish Exchange server using TMG, please refer to the following blog for some tips. It is also applicable for Exchange 2016.

Publishing Exchange Server 2013 using TMG

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by RRozanski Friday, February 22, 2019 1:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going? If there is anything unclear or any update, please feel free to post it here. If you have solved the issue, please mark the solution as answer, which could be beneficial for answer searching in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:54 AM