Migrating SCCM Distribution Point RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving from one primary 2007 to one primary 2012 site. The 2007 server is also the Standard Distribution Point. What is the best way to go about migrating the content? Sharing or upgrading the distribution point won't really help because that means that the content will still stay on that server correct?

We plan to decommission the 2007 site server as its a VM. In that case, will it require that we manually copy all the packages over to the new 2012 distribution point?

Then once they are manually copied, how do we tell the server that they are there, or do we have to go through the Add New DP Wizard for every package until it shows "installed" for each one?

• Edited by Matt MS Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand you correctly you have one SCCM 2007 Primary site server which is also the DP, and you want to move to SCCM 2012.

1.  first move the source files for the applications to a UNC share. http://blog.coretech.dk/jgs/coretech-package-source-changer-0-3-0-0/
    2. I would use the migration wizard to migrate the packages you need from SCCM 2007->2012
    3. Then simply create a new DP in SCCM 2012.

There is now way of actually copy the files on the DP itself to sccm 2012 from 2007, you need to migrate them first.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by Misha Rudiy Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Ok, do I have to use the SMSPKGD$ share, isn't that what it uses by default for the distribution point?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:13 PM
  • So basically its a total manual process of recreating the packages on a new DP from the original source files like starting over really?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

You can use the builtin migration feature in the Configuration Manager 2012 console to migrate the packages/programs, collection and so on from SCCM 2007 so you don't have to re-create everything, but in some sense, yes, it is like starting over. The files on your dp's doesn't really help, you still need to create all the application information in the ConfigMgr 2012 site.

There are some great information on Technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682006.aspx

regards,
    Jörgen

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Yes but what MS doesn't really cover at all is the process of migrating to a completely separate distribution point (not upgrading) on a new server. 

What it looks like is that I need to get my source files somewhere on a share.

Use the migration jobs in 2012 to migrate all the stuff that can.

Then add the distribution point role and go ahead and distribute content for each individual package (which is time consuming because you have to do each one separately).

Also, you can't just copy over the packages in SMSPKG<drive letter>$ because the 2012 distribution point doesn't use that folder structure, its more of a database style with files.

Finally, it seems that when you do migrate the packages with the tool they of course maintain the same data source location which will soon no longer exist. So I suppose when you need to update distribution points if you make a change to the source files later, you first need to change the data source location for that package...

Please let me know if any of this is incorrect or not making sense. I need to figure out the best and most efficient way to do this since Microsoft offers no articles on this.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:48 PM
  • #1 What it looks like is that I need to get my source files somewhere on a share.

#2 Use the migration jobs in 2012 to migrate all the stuff that can.

#3 Then add the distribution point role and go ahead and distribute content for each individual package (which is time consuming because you have to do each one separately).

#4 Also, you can't just copy over the packages in SMSPKG<drive letter>$ because the 2012 distribution point doesn't use that folder structure, its more of a database style with files.

#5 Finally, it seems that when you do migrate the packages with the tool they of course maintain the same data source location which will soon no longer exist. So I suppose when you need to update distribution points if you make a change to the source files later, you first need to change the data source location for that package...

#1: true
    #2: the migration job will migrate packages etc to the new site.
    #3: can multi-select packages and distribute the content with a few single clicks
    #4: doesn't matter, see #3
    #5: that's why Jörgen mentioned Kent's tool

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Yes, but with #5 there, I mean the packages that you migrate still have the same path in the "Data Source" tab, how do you update this to the new path? It still has the old server UNC that the source files were originally on.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

For #5 copy the content to a new package source location, use the tool we suggested above and update the information in the SCCM 2007 Site to point to the new Package Source location. Then when you mgirate the packages the Data Source path is correct.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:44 PM
  • And what about drivers, what is the best way to migrate them? Not the packages, just the driver catalog.  Guessing, just re-import them from the source files into 2012?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:45 PM
  • And what about drivers, what is the best way to migrate them? Not the packages, just the driver catalog.  Guessing, just re-import them from the source files into 2012?
    Did you get an answer to this?
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:19 PM
  • I am going to be migrating from 2007 to 2012 as well.  For #2 does the migration job automatically convert the 2007 Primary site distribution point to a shared distribution point or does that need to occur first before the migration?
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:38 PM
  • You have to enable sharing of DPs manually.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, March 8, 2013 11:54 AM