none
DPM 2012 VTL to Physical Tape Automation RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using DPM 2102 R2 with multiple retention libraries.  Most of our data sources, to take advantage of the incremental b/u feature, are going to disk storage then off to a VTL.  This provides us with a short term retention and a mid-term retention period.  We are now wanting to utilize a physical tape drive for a long term archival period.  I've configured the PGs so that the retention periods run short term to disk, long term to tape, then a second long term to tape retention goal, and finally setting the primary tape library as the VTL and the copy library as the physical tape unit.  It seems that the first two goals, disk and VTL, are working as desired.  The issue comes in on the third long term goal where I would like DPM to write it to physical tape, which it's not doing.  It will process the third retention goal, however it writes it out to the VTL instead of the physical library.  Is there some setting that I'm missing when configuring the custom long term retention periods or is it even possible to automate this type of "three-tier" retention?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not have any provision for specifying different tape devices for different goals. All tape backups will be written using the same library.  Only when you specify multiple copies of a tape backup will the 2nd library be utilized.  However, since your backups are going to VTL, most likely that has built-in dedup which means an additional backup of the same data probably won't use much if any physical space. You could configure your 3rd backup goal to have two copies, and DPM will then write a copy to the physical tape library so you can take it offsite.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not have any provision for specifying different tape devices for different goals. All tape backups will be written using the same library.  Only when you specify multiple copies of a tape backup will the 2nd library be utilized.  However, since your backups are going to VTL, most likely that has built-in dedup which means an additional backup of the same data probably won't use much if any physical space. You could configure your 3rd backup goal to have two copies, and DPM will then write a copy to the physical tape library so you can take it offsite.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:08 PM
  • dynamicrider...I am in the exact same boat as you. I also just acquired a disk based backup device ... a HP StoreOnce 4700 (+ a 4500 for offsite replica). It can emulate NAS disk and/or VTL but I soon found out that DPM will not use the StoreOnce for its replica volume since only DAS is allowed.

Hence I thought of this three tier backup strategy:

• Short Term:

Create a recovery point (using replica on DPM's DAS) twice a day. At 12 PM and 10 PM. Keep for 5 days.

• Intermediate:

Keep copy of above on VTL for 30 days.

• Long Term:

Keep weekly copy on physical tape for 6 months.

Now, the million dollar question is, how to configure DPM to get this done? Apparantly, it is not do able in a straightforward manner. DPM can only do two two tiered backups, but I want three tiers :-(

Maybe the solution posted by Mike Jacquet will work...looking into this "Customize recovery goal" screen more carefully now...

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Edited by rajdude2 Monday, March 9, 2015 6:26 PM clarification
    Monday, March 9, 2015 6:18 PM
  • What do you think about the following screenshot?

Do you think this will do what I want? ... which is...

• Short Term:

Create a recovery point (using replica on DPM's DAS) twice a day. At 12 PM and 10 PM. Keep for 5 days. (not shown in the screenshot)

• Intermediate:

Keep copy of above on VTL for 30 days. (recovery goal 1)

• Long Term:

Keep weekly copy on physical tape for 6 months. (recovery goal 2)

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Edited by rajdude2 Monday, March 9, 2015 6:37 PM improved formatting
    Monday, March 9, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that will work provided that on the next screen "Select library and tape details" you configured the 1st library to be the VLT and the Copy library to be the Physical Library.    What you will end up with is two backup copies for Recovery Goal 2 - one on the VTL and one on the Physical Library. 

Monday, March 9, 2015 7:45 PM
  • Mike's solution is correct.  DPM cannot do three tiered backups as we both would like to do.  If you implement your screen shot all that will happen is that the goal 2 recoveries will be dumped onto the VTL, not to physical tape.  The only thing you can really do is manual recoveries to physical tape and then you run into the tape retention catalog issue.  Doing the recoveries manually to tape bypasses the retention catalog so you would need to keep a manual record of when and how long each item is written out.  another issue is, from what I can tell, DPM will not consolidate data recoveries on a single tape.  ex, you have five sql databases to write out to tape.  Each of the five DBs will take 1 tape.  Not exactly perfect.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Mike's solution is correct.  DPM cannot do three tiered backups as we both would like to do.  If you implement your screen shot all that will happen is that the goal 2 recoveries will be dumped onto the VTL, not to physical tape.  The only thing you can really do is manual recoveries to physical tape and then you run into the tape retention catalog issue.  Doing the recoveries manually to tape bypasses the retention catalog so you would need to keep a manual record of when and how long each item is written out.  another issue is, from what I can tell, DPM will not consolidate data recoveries on a single tape.  ex, you have five sql databases to write out to tape.  Each of the five DBs will take 1 tape.  Not exactly perfect.

Hmmm.....are you sure it won't work? Are you speaking from experience?

I am at the theory stage (although I just finished creating that VTL test PG).

IMHO....My "Recovery Goal two" is supposed to make two copies...1st one will go to the VTL, 2nd one should go to tape....no?

-Rajeev rajdude.com

• Edited by rajdude2 Monday, March 9, 2015 7:55 PM clarification
    Monday, March 9, 2015 7:53 PM
  • It will make two copies if you configure it to use a different library for the copy library.  The issue I see is that now instead of eating up resources on just the vtl or just the physical tape it's eating up both resources.  Now you would need to go through the vtl and remove any long term group that was written off to tape.  We have around 1000 virtual tapes in our library and consumed all of them within a few months configuring it the way you described.  There is no automated way to do a three tiered backup plan that works the way it should.  Any way I've worked it there has to be a manual process in there somewhere, the question is where is the least amount of pain caused.
    Monday, March 9, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for the insight.

Wow, it filled up 1000 tapes in your VTL? Is DPM filling them up to their (virtual) capacity or just writing a few GB/MB on them and marking them "Offsite Ready" ?

I had that problem of DPM not utilizing tapes to their full capacity, I had to do some tweaks. My tapes are still not near 100% utilized...as I would like them to be.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:35 PM
  • Also, I really do NOT want a "three tiered backup plan". Ideally, I want only two tiers:

1. Short term backups (1 month) on the disk based backup device (HP StoreOnce)
    2. Long term backups (6 months) on physical tape.

I really do not need/want to present a VTL to DPM, but it seems to me that a VTL is the only way DPM can use that disk based backup device (HP StoreOnce) we bought. I should have bought a disk based backup device which is able to emulate a iSCSI target or present FC LUNs to the DPM server :-(

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 12:40 PM
  • dynamicrider,

(not sure if you are still following this thread...but if you are)

Please take a look at my results here...

Notice that DPM has marked my virtual tape in slot 25 as "Offsite Ready" after writing only 47 GB to it? That is wrong!

If that is what is happening in your system also, that explains why your DPM consumed all your 1000 tapes in the VTL.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

If the protection group for that data source is not part of a co-location protection group set, then by default the tape will be marked offsite ready immediately.  Below show the default settings for a new PGSET called Default - you may need to tweak the write period and expiry tolerance to optimize your tape usage. 

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:12 PM
  • WOW, you are correct Mike!

I tried putting my VTLtest PG into a co-located PG set and now DPM is "not" marking the tapes "offsite ready".

However I feel this should not be necessary. There should be a setting in DPM which lets it re-use a tape, for x days, or until the tape is full. Why is there a need to create a co-located PG set for this purpose?

Also, does this apply to only VTLs? I ask because I don't think my backup jobs going to physical tapes have the same issue. Maybe they do, I need to check them more carefully.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Monday, March 16, 2015 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    There should be a setting in DPM which lets it re-use a tape, for x days, or until the tape is full.
    >snip<

That was the thinking about the PGSet options - each protection group can be in a separate PGset and have different settings so it's not just for allowing co-location.   The PGset applies equally to physical and VTL. 

Monday, March 16, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Did you manage to fix this issue? 
    Monday, September 10, 2018 8:30 AM